BOBBYSS
BOBBYSS, Master Technician
Experience:  ASE MASTER CERTIFIED, AA DEGREE AUTO/DIESEL TECH
1627031

I have a 01 impala. girl friend said that it would not

Customer Question

I have a 01 impala. girl friend said that it would not start. the lights the blower came on but starter would not engage. got home and the car started right up, got it in the garage turned it off then tried to start it again but this time no lights just as dead as a door nail.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  BOBBYSS replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is***** you for the question. It sounds like a voltage issue. Start by making sure that the battery is fine. If it is then I would suspect that either the positive battery cable is bad or that there is a bad connection from the cable to the starter or fuse box. These are the most common issues. It can also be an ignition switch but that is not as common. I hope this helps. Let me know if you need anything else.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
after i wrote my question i checked the voltage at the battery and it was 13 volts. according to my load tester. got in the impala and tried to start it and it started fine. turned it off removed the key put it back in and started it again. did the same thing about 6 times started every time. one other problem that it has and maybe they are related is the fan will intermittently work. sometimes you get in and it works just fine then sometimes it does not, sometimes after about 20 mins of driving it comes on. i have replaced the ballast resistor and the blower motor but still does the same thing.
Expert:  BOBBYSS replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for getting back with me. These may or may not be related. Do you have a voltage meter and does the fan act up enough for you to test it?