Lou P.
Lou P., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  building and driving chevy's since i was in the womb!!!! camaro and corvette enthusiest, access to factory diagrams and tsb's
27644750

VIN is 2CNBE13C416954471. There are no stored or pending

Customer Question

VIN is 2CNBE13C416954471. There are no stored or pending codes.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry for the long wait

what is wrong with the vehicle ?

year and make and model and engine size ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
2001 Chevrolet Tracker, 2WD, 2.0 L engine 205,000 miles
Hot Starting Problem
Vehicle starts ok when cold/cool
Trouble starting when hot (on hot days)...only happens if vehicle hasn't been sitting long (like 5-10 minutes)...will start ok if its been sitting a while...it will crank but have a hard time catching...past few days its been over 100 degrees and will not catch (stumbles and cuts off immediately)....acts flooded....cranking while holding gas all the way down doesn't help...however, if I pull fuel pump fuse (to relieve pressure), crank to fire plugs, then put fuse back in, it starts up fine
had fuel pump, fuel filter, IAC valve replaced a month ago....had same problem before replacements
hooked up laptop with ScanXL...starts when coolant temp is around 160...starting problems are when temp hits over 190...coolant level is topped off....I notice that intake temp is around 140 when engine is warm, which seems a bit high....both coolant and intake temps matched ambient temp when checked first thing in morning....fuel trim is around -6% to -9% when warm....was told there is no way to test fuel pressure on this vehicle...removed vacuum line from fuel pressure regulator and rpms went up a little bit....can smell weak fuel vapor but can't see any fuel come put of vacuum line....vehicle has slight rough idle (around 600) when warm...idles fine when cool....other than that, vehicle drives fine
Expert:  Lou P. replied 1 year ago.

From everything you say it sounds very much like a failed coolant temperature sensor. Your model had two sensors. One for the gauge if your dash had one and one for the ECM so the computer knows the temp. Compare the engine temp sensor to the actual temp. If the sensor is stuck cold then it will continue to richen up the mixture and can cause your issue. Have you tried or tested that ? That is where I am heading with your info. Let me know. Hope this information helps. Please take a second and click the box and rate my service GOOD OR EXCELLENT SERVICE if you feel I have been helpful and please request me in the future. If you feel I have not been helpful please DO NOT RATE BAD OR POOR AND WASTE YOUR MONEY , I will opt out to see if another expert can provide more or better assistance so you're not wasting your money!!. Thanks for choosing just answer. Lou. also , if you feel i deserve one , BONUSES are GREATLY APPRECIATED ! ūüėČ

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The temperature shown in ScanXL (temp ECU receives) is consistent with the position of the temp gauge....it starts low at startup and reads high after the vehicle has been running, so I believe its showing the correct temp...I'd like to get a second opinion from another expert...thanks!
Expert:  Lou P. replied 1 year ago.
Ok sure , no problem , I can still assist if needed , I will opt out and you just reply to me if you want to continue , I am very good with diagnosis and the fact that you have a scanner will help us both out. So you let me know. Lou