Lou P.
Lou P., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  building and driving chevy's since i was in the womb!!!! camaro and corvette enthusiest, access to factory diagrams and tsb's
27644750

I'm wondering if a 4 door 97 chevy blazer has a fuel gauge

Customer Question

I'm wondering if a 4 door 97 chevy blazer has a fuel gauge module. I have changed the fuel pump and instrument cluster and the fuel gauge still does not work
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Lou P. replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** i will do my best to help you , i strive for EXCELLENT service and nothing more. Most times the issue is the fuel pump assembly , then the wiring at the connector , then the ground , then the wiring under the drivers side of the body by the frame. Those are the usual suspects. What is the gauge exactly doing and not doing ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the gauge just sits at E when its on. when I shut it off the gauge goes to between a 1/4 and 1/2. I already changed the fuel pump assembly with a brand new fuel pump and with new wiring connector.
Expert:  Lou P. replied 1 year ago.

Ok , what we usually do when we drop the tank , is turn the key on and plug in the new sensor and raise and lower the arm to see how the gauge operates , did you do that at all ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did. it did not make a difference. it just sits on E
Expert:  Lou P. replied 1 year ago.

Ok that's good , well at least for diagnostic purposes. Ok first thing to check is the ground located on the frame on the drivers side rear near the spare is where it should be. I will double check the wiring. And then follow the harness up the the engine bay and check it near the frame and body by the drivers side fender and tire area this is very common for the wires to rub through.

Expert:  Lou P. replied 1 year ago.

Ok your model also had a "buffer module" located under the glove box attached to the heater ducting. There is a purple wire that goes to that module that is the purple wire that comes from the sensor. So you should unplug that wire and test for resistance to ground to see if the wire reads resistance indicating the wire is in fact ok.

Expert:  Lou P. replied 1 year ago.

Ok on the fuel level buffer module.

Pin A (pink wire) should have battery voltage

Pin C(purple wire be careful there are 2 purple wires ) goes directly to the pump so if measured with resistance it should read what the fuel pump level is and show it as OHMS.

So if you have power and you have a resistance reading between 80-240ohms then the buffer module is the issue. If you do not have resistance in the wire to the fuel level sensor then the issue is the wire somewhere along the frame. And I was wrong about the ground. The sensor is grounded by a control module. So what also you will need to do is test resistance between connector 3 of the ECM pin 19 to the purple wire pin c of the buffer module for resistance and that will tell you if the ground circuit is ok. Hope this information helps Please take a second and click the box and rate my service GOOD OR EXCELLENT SERVICE if you feel I have been helpful and please request me in the future. If you feel I have not been helpful please DO NOT RATE BAD OR POOR AND WASTE YOUR MONEY , I will opt out to see if another expert can provide more or better assistance so you're not wasting your money!!. Thanks for choosing just answer. Lou. also , if you feel i deserve one , BONUSES are GREATLY APPRECIATED ! ūüėČ Keep in mind then when you rate it does not end our conversation. you can still return here to me for follow up information if needed, Lou.