Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.
3195632

Im replacing my EBCM and pump and need to know if after

Customer Question

Im replacing my EBCM and pump and need to know if after replacing I need to bleed brake line.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.
HI,
Yes, after replacing the pump, it must be bled. This does require a scan tool to bleed the abs hydraulic pump
Automated Bleed Procedure
Notice: The Auto Bleed Procedure may be terminated at any time during the process by pressing the EXIT button. No further Scan Tool prompts pertaining to the Auto Bleed procedure will be given. After exiting the bleed procedure, relieve bleed pressure and disconnect bleed equipment per manufacturers instructions. Failure to properly relieve pressure may result in spilled brake fluid causing damage to components and painted surfaces.
1. Raise and support the vehicle.
2. Remove the tire and wheel assemblies.
3. Inspect the brake system for leaks and visual damage. Refer to Symptoms - Hydraulic Brakes .
4. Lower the vehicle.
5. Prepare the brake bleeding equipment and the vehicle for a pressure bleed of the base hydraulic brake system.
6. Inspect the battery state of charge. Refer to Battery Inspection/Test .
7. Install a scan tool.
8. Turn the ignition ON, with the engine OFF.
9. With the scan tool, perform the following steps:
1. Select Diagnostics
2. Select the appropriate vehicle information
3. Select Chassis
4. Select Electronic Brake Control Module (EBCM)
5. Select Special Functions
6. Select Automated Bleed
10. With an assistant ready, raise and support the vehicle. Refer to Lifting and Jacking the Vehicle .
Important:
* Apply the brake pedal when instructed, using moderate effort.
* Ensure the pedal remains applied until instructed to release by the scan tool.
* Do not exceed the time period allowed by the scan tool for having the bleeder valves open.
* The bleed sequence for each corner is as follows:
- Left front
- Right front
- Right rear
- Left rear
11. Perform the automated bleed procedure as instructed by the scan tool.
12. If the automated bleed procedure is aborted, a malfunction exists. If a DTC is detected, refer to Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) List - Vehicle to diagnose the DTC.
13. After completion of the automated bleed procedure, press and hold the brake pedal to inspect for pedal firmness.
14. If the brake pedal feels spongy, repeat the bleed procedure completely.
15. Remove the scan tool.
16. Install the tire and wheel assemblies.
17. Lower the vehicle.
18. Adjust the brake fluid level.
19. Road test the vehicle while confirming the brake pedal remains high and firm.
Please remember to rate service using the rating page so that I may receive credit. Thanks
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.
I noticed we have not yet resolved your concern you asked about. I would sure appreciate it if you would reply so I can offer my skills and knowledge and repair guide access to help as best I can.
~Do you still need more help?
~Confused by my info request or answer?
~Need more time?
~Confused on how the site works?
~Need more detail or a different explanation?
If the answer is YES to any of these just press reply and lets work on this concern some more.
If you have new questions now or in the future please do not hesitate to ask them. If you would like me to assist you. Just bookmark this page so you can access my profile easy and post a new question from the question box on my profile page. Please remember to rate service using the rating page so that I may receive credit. Thanks