Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair, mechanic
Experience:  Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.
14541291

I put Lucas injector cleaner in the tank, then filled it

Customer Question

Hi Jerry, I put Lucas injector cleaner in the tank , then filled it with 20 gal. Of fuel 2 miles later on the fwy I based it to pass someone and it begun to sputter and back fire pretty hard Untill it eventually died. At first I had no spark or fuel. Replaced the coil and power mod, Roter and cap. I have spark now but still no fuel out of throttle body injectors.the strange thing is that when the ignition is on I get a small hum from the alternator. It's a 89 4x4 1/2 ton low miles and been very reliable till now. What do you think. I've read other comments and tried about everything and still no fuel
Category: Chevy
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I also replaced the fuel filter and it has plenty of pressure
Expert:  Tim's Auto Repair replied 1 year ago.

Hi, My name is ***** ***** for the delay.

I will do my best to assist you

does the fuel pump come on for 2 seconds when you first turn the ignition on?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes it does

ok,,sense the fuel pump does come on,,and there is no injector pulse,,the computer doesnt know the engine is turning,thus,not activating the injectors.

this can be caused by a couple of things,,

1-the ignition module-even though it has a spark,,the icm can kill the injector pulse,i know you say you have replaced it,but you can get a bad new one

2-the pick-up coil in the distributer-if the pick-up is bad,you may want to replace the the complete distributor with a new rebuilt unit sense the distributor will need to be removed and took apart to replace the pick-up

thanks

If you are satisfied with my answer, Please Rate my answer by clicking the rating button so I can get credit for my work. I’m not always going to be giving you good news, so please don't let this stand in the way of you accepting my answer. .it does not cost you more money and we will still be able to communicate, ,.please understand, i can not see, hear or touch the vehicle and only know what you tell me. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated.. if you are not satisfied with my answer, please do not leave bad feedback ,i will gladly opt out and let another expert handle the question. .if i have sent any diagrams, please print them. .sometimes you may need to right click the image [,then save picture as]to save it to your computer so you can open it with your picture program...Please ask if you need more help.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Is there a way to test the pick up coil in the distributor first? And what about the hum coming from the alternator what does that indicate?

sometimes these alternators will make a slight hum .when you tur on the key,it activated the voltage regulator ..the regulator on these alternators is inside the alternator itself

i dont have a good test for the pick-up coil,,testing would be hard to do anyways,sense the problem is intermediate..it may test good but still be bad when they do this

thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ok thanks Tim, ill get a distributor next. It was the next thing on my list. The truck sat for a couple of years two years ago I got it running again and inside the distributor is a little rusty. Living in Oregon does that.

ok

let me know how it gos

thanks