Gary
Gary, Chevy Technician
Experience:  15 years GM master tech
19513769

I have a 2006 Silverado 5.3L with 250,000 miles. On trips if

Customer Question

I have a 2006 Silverado 5.3L with 250,000 miles. On long trips if I go over 2,000 rpm or race engine when passing a tapping noise starts up (sounds like a stuck lifter). If I pull over cut off the engine and wait 5 minutes and start up and let it idle for 20 seconds the tapping sounds stops. There is no drop in oil pressure, no temp rise, and no drop in performance when this sounds starts.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry for the long wait

this is a 5.3 engine without the active fuel management system to shut of cylinders for better fuel mileage ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No active fuel management
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

is this an upper ticking like a lifter type noise ?

where you able to listen close with a stethoscope or something similar ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It sounds like a lifter noise to me, but everytime I am returning from a long trip and it is making the noise it stops before I can get my local mechanic to hear the noise. There is another problem, which I don't know if it is related. After driving long distances and shutting down overnight when I first start up the next morning there is a cloud of smoke out the tailpipe that only lasts for a few seconds. After we did the engine flush this stopped for a few thousand miles, but it has started doing it again.
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

the odds are this issue is a lifter that is loosing its prime and seems to be collapsing on and off

the best action to take is to remove the valve cover and make sure there are no broken valve springs

if the valve springs check out good the next step is the lifters need to come out and the cam lobes need to be checked for any wear if the cam lobes look good then replace the lifters

at this point that is the only thing to correct this issue