Daniel Jones
Daniel Jones,
Experience:  GM A Tech at Straub Buick GMC
15093763

I have a 2008 Chevy Silverado 2500hd with the lmm 6.6

Customer Question

I have a 2008 Chevy Silverado 2500hd with the lmm 6.6 duramax, previous owner had remote start installed on truck, it's factory style remote start. When I initiate the remote start operation the lights flash but engine doesn't crank and start, no check engine lights,no codes, just a tpms light on. What could be the issue. I don't have a DIC since it's an lt model so I can't use it to tell if it's turned on or not. Is there a wiring diagram so I can check crank wires or any expert advice. Forums have only led me to check engine lights.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Daniel Jones replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Welcome to the site. Thanks for coming. I'm ***** *****.
I'm here to provide as much information and insight as I can, to best answer your question.

I will need your VIN# ***** look up some info.

Thank you for posting your question.

Your business is very valuable to us.
Thank You
***** *****

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
1GCHK23688F141450

Can you send me a pic of your remote?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Here it is

The RVS system will not operate if any of the following conditions are present:

• A current vehicle DTC that illuminates the malfunction indicator lamp (MIL)
  • The vehicle is in valet mode.
  • More than 2 remote starts have been attempted.
  • The hazard switch is in the ON position.
  • A current hazard switch DTC is set.
  • The vehicle hood is ajar.
  • A current hood ajar DTC is set.
  • The CTD system detects an alarm trigger.
  • Excessive engine RPM
  • Excessive coolant temperature
  • Accelerator pedal position greater than 0 percent
  • Vehicle not in park
  • Vehicle theft deterrent malfunction
  • A current automatic transmission shift lock control system DRC is set.
  • A vehicle speed sensor signal is detected by the ECM.

Can you send me a picture of your dash?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is this good enough?

Circuit/System Description

Remote vehicle start (RVS) begins as an RF message received by the remote control door lock receiver (RCDLR) from a keyless entry transmitter. The RVS request is sent by the RCDLR to the body control module (BCM) via serial data. The BCM monitors system conditions such as content theft deterrent (CTD), hood ajar status, and body DTCs to determine if an RVS event will occur. If conditions are determined to be acceptable, the RVS message is sent to the engine control module (ECM). The ECM monitors system conditions such as engine control parameters and vehicle theft deterrent (VTD) to determine if engine starting will be allowed. If conditions are acceptable, the ECM will initiate engine starting. During the engine run time in a RVS attempt, before the operator enters the vehicle, the ECM may discontinue engine operation if system conditions require it or a message is received from the BCM requesting the engine be turned OFF.

Can you check all the modules for any codes?

body control module (BCM)

remote control door lock receiver (RCDLR)

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
All 3 of my code readers show no codes, I can't find any way to check the individual modules with my current code readers.

Do your code code readers only read engine codes?

What type of code readers do you have?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I believe so, I have an action autos canner plus cp9180, an edge legacy evolution programmer with code reading capabilities and an efi live autocal with code reading capabilities. None show any codes on my truck.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Actron autoscanner, sorry autocorrect got the best of that one

You will need something that can read codes in

body control module (BCM)

remote control door lock receiver (RCDLR).

Yours only read engine codes.

I did locate a bulletin concerning Remote start issues and Updating the BCM. This will have to be checked by a Dealer or someone capable of programming BCM's.

I can give you the bulletin info

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That would be great, would you have any insight on what type of modules can read and/or program the bcm? Would any Snapon diagnostic tools be able to access that module? I'm a diesel mechanic on the big trucks, and have access to tool trucks. I work at a dealership and know how much the Chevy dealerships cost per hour so if I can avoid them I'd rather try and buy or borrow a Snapon or Matco diagnostic tool that I can use later on.

Not sure which tools can do programming BCM, I only used the GM Tech2 and MDI at the dealership.

Check with your tool truck dealers on that info.

Here is the bulletin info.

#PIT4960A: Updated Remote Start Calibrations (Reprogram BCM) - keywords button DTC engine fob key no off quir RFA run RVS stall start - (Feb 17, 2010)

Subject: Updated Remote Start Calibrations (Reprogram BCM)

Models: 2007-2008 Cadillac Escalade Models

2007-2008 Chevrolet Avalanche, Silverado, Suburban, Tahoe

2007-2008 GMC Sierra, Yukon, Yukon Denali, Yukon XL, Yukon XL Denali

This PI was superseded to update the recommendation. Please discard PIT4960.

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.

Condition/Concern:

When working on a vehicle with a remote start issue, make sure the BCM has the latest calibrations.

Recommendation/Instructions:

Reprogram the BCM with the latest cals in TIS2WEB. If the BCM already has the latest calibrations and/or you still exhibit the concern after programming, continue with normal SI diagnostics.

Please follow this diagnostic or repair process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed.