Gary
Gary, Chevy Technician
Experience:  15 years GM master tech
19513769

2 days ago I got in the 2000 Chevy Express van and when I

Customer Question

2 days ago I got in the 2000 Chevy Express van and when I turned the key I heard a pop or a click , and then all the electrical functions were gone... no lights no no clicks, no nuthin'. Today I went back out to try to diagnose. I was surprised that the door locks worked. Even more surprised the headlights worked. when I turned the key to start the van the same click happened and the same complete loss of power to everything. Is it just the main relay? and where is the main relay?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry for the long wait

can you remove both battery cables and sand them down with sandpaper or a scotch pad and reconnect them tight will it still do this ?

any access to a good multi meter ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
still does it. when I went to the car yesterday there was good electrical power in strong headlights, door locks, dash lights etc.... just as soon as I turned the key there was a snap, and then all electric power went away.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the first time it was the same thing. I was very surprised to find that there was again any power to the lights and lockes etc because everything was dead at that time...is there a switch or relay that may have reconnected and allowed electrical flow?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have not multimeter
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
you were right it was the stinking battery
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
all done. never mind
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

great to hear

it was the battery or the battery cables causing this issue ?