Tool Hut
Tool Hut, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Owner of a mobile diagnostics company assisting auto technicians with difficult vehicles
77480539

Still have problems with fuel system, change the transfer

Customer Question

Still have problems with fuel system, change the transfer pump, fuel pump, fuel pressure unit. and fuel filter can hare the pump running band have fuel to filter but no fuel or pressure to upper part of engine. Checked the fuses and seem to be fine. DR
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Tool Hut replied 1 year ago.

Hi, My Name is***** have over 20 years experience repairing vehicles. I am a ASE Certified Master Auto Technician. I am confident we can resolve your problem together.Please remember I don't know your skill level. I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle. It may take a few back and forth replies to get to a satisfactory resoloution.I also try to give all of the information you may need expecting a positive rating. If there is any reason I cannot get a positive rating please let me know.

How have you determined that you have no pressure at engine? Do you have a fuel pressure gauge?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Fuel Pressure gauge.
Expert:  Tool Hut replied 1 year ago.

and you have 0 pressure?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Tool Hut replied 1 year ago.

Is it possible you crossed the pressure and return lines?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I printed a diagram and made sure the lines are correct .
Expert:  Tool Hut replied 1 year ago.

What was the original problem that you were trying to correct?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I tried both ways and still no pressure, fuel lines to fuel pump.
Expert:  Tool Hut replied 1 year ago.

My immediate suspicion is that the regulator is stuck open causing fuel to return to tank.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The engine quiet and tried checking to see if I could here the fuel pump running , and no sound from tank so changed fuel pump.
Expert:  Tool Hut replied 1 year ago.

can you try pinching the return line and see if pressure come up?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is the regulater on top of engine or on the fuel pump. I can try that in the morning not at garage.
Expert:  Tool Hut replied 1 year ago.

Yes top of engine in fuel rail

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Change it out today with a new one.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This truck is driving me nuts!
Expert:  Tool Hut replied 1 year ago.

You can here the pump? Can you hook a pressure gauge up directly in the pressure line? Is it possible that you have a bad connection at pump? There is an updated fuel pump connector for these.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can hear the pump running.
Expert:  Tool Hut replied 1 year ago.

Can you hook your pressure gauge directly to pressure line as close to pump as possible?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'll try it
Expert:  Tool Hut replied 1 year ago.

Also I have had 1 of these that the wires were hooked wrong on the pump causing the pump to run backwards. it was an aftermarket unit. I dont remember the brand

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The oem plug fit right into pump. I can hear the relay working pump runining when I turn key on. But no fuel pressure on top.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Check again and no fuel to filter.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This morning.
Expert:  Tool Hut replied 1 year ago.

What I am saying is the unit was wired wrong in the assembly causing the pumop to run backwards. If pup is running and no pressure there is something wrong with pump

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Taking pump back out this afternoon. And I agree it is in the pump.
Expert:  Tool Hut replied 1 year ago.

It is absolutely a pump problem if it is running and no pressure

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yup, I agree will see soon.
Expert:  Tool Hut replied 1 year ago.

OK let me know what you find.

You want a excellent 5 star answer & I would like to be rated the same for providing it. A rating is required from you rating me. I am not an employee of this website. I do not have control over the fees, or the time it took to get a response. If you rate negative, or not at all you still pay. I get nothing. I want you pleased with me and my efforts, so let me know if your experience here has come up short.