Lou P.
Lou P., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  building and driving chevy's since i was in the womb!!!! camaro and corvette enthusiest, access to factory diagrams and tsb's
27644750

I have a problem with fuel gauge. 83 Chevy G30

Customer Question

Category: Chevy
Expert:  Lou P. replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** i will do my best to help you , i strive for EXCELLENT service and nothing more. Ok so it sounds like the sendor is working , are you grounding the line out at the tank ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
With those readings on the sender you don't think I need a new sender?
Expert:  Lou P. replied 1 year ago.
Well what exactly does the gauge do or not do? And have you physically taken the sensor out of the tank ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was told by shop that the sending unit was bad. I have removed the tank and sending unit. I have bench tested the sending unit.
As the unit drys out i get the following readings, 40-140ohms, 20-120ohms and the last readings 10-110ohms. I have since reconnected the sendor (out of the tank) still needle is reading high. Also have grounded the sending unit wire with same result.
Expert:  Lou P. replied 1 year ago.
Ok the sensor should read from 0-95 ohms from what I can find. Now with the wire from the car grounded and open the reading on the Gauge should go from empty to full obviously. So the issue is most likely the wire. I would remove the cluster and ohm the wire or just ground the wire from the cluster and bypass the rest of the wiring usually the wire corrodes or breaks. Most shops are quick to assume sensor and then when they replace it they cover it up by locating and fixing the wiring. Your ohms are a little off but not enough to give you a huge difference in the gauge. So my money is on the wire coming from the cluster. Hope this information helps. Let me know what you find. Or if you need more assitance but your sendor sounds fine to me. Especially if you ground the sending unit wire and nothing changes. Use a meter and check for voltage on that wire. If you get very little or none the issue is with the wire. Hope this information helps Please take a second and click the box and rate my service GOOD OR EXCELLENT SERVICE if you feel I have been helpful and please request me in the future. If you feel I have not been helpful please DO NOT RATE BAD OR POOR AND WASTE YOUR MONEY , I will opt out to see if another expert can provide more or better assistance so you're not wasting your money!!. Thanks for choosing just answer. Lou. also , if you feel i deserve one , BONUSES are GREATLY APPRECIATED ! ūüėČ