Gary
Gary, Chevy Technician
Experience:  15 years GM master tech
19513769

My 2008 Chevy Colorado 2.9L is sputtering but not stalling

Customer Question

my 2008 Chevy Colorado 2.9L is sputtering but not stalling when it's idling and the check engine light is on. I've changes both O2 sensors, put in a new air filter and cleaned the MAF with a cleaner, changed all spark plugs and got a new gas cap. I have flushed my oil, using a fuel flush twice and the codes are CO899, U1064, P1174.....I know it could be a million things and have had it at the chevy dealership for 3 days and all they said was a flush, spark plug change and o2 sensor change out and I'm still know where...help
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry your having this problem

off of idle or over 1000 rpm when driving the truck drives just fine ?

any access to a scan tool to see live computer data ?

at idle is there ANY noise from the front engine timing cover area ?

when the codes are clear how soon before the P1174 comes back and will it only come back at idle or driving at speed ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Truck drives fine and the sputtering only happens when it's idle and at no particular sitting time, and some times not at all, its pretty sporadic. unfortunately I bout one of those fancy OBD 2 tools but it's Bluetooth and not connecting, I'm sending it back and getting a different one but that would be here for a few days, so no live data. No noise at idle from the engine or any where else and no smells. The code has come back at both times. After I replaced the o2 sensor and spark plugs, it came back a few days after driving, while driving and this last time when I was checking voltage, which is fine by the way, and changing the air filter/cleaning the MAF it came back on while idling.
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

and if you crack the throttle open when its doing this at idle it will smooth right out ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If it's in idle and I accelerate, it will just go even if it's in that sputter mode and it wont jerk. I hear my engine have to work a little harder but that's to be expected going from sputter to accelerating.
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

usually these type of issues setting that code P1174 ends up being the timing chain with excessive play or a leaking fuel injector or a bad cat converter

to rule out the timing chain when you get your scanner will it show live current and history misfires in the data list ?