Tool Hut
Tool Hut, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Owner of a mobile diagnostics company assisting auto technicians with difficult vehicles
77480539

I have a 2004 Chevy Surburban AWD that runs and drives fine

Customer Question

I have a 2004 Chevy Surburban AWD that runs and drives fine but when you are trying to turn into a drive or park it makes a horrible noise and it seems like it is in 4wd low. I have had the fluid in the transfer case changed and both wheel hub assembly's and the indicator switch on the dash checked out fine. This happened quick, it was running fine one time and the next it was weird acting.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Tool Hut replied 1 year ago.

Hi, My Name is***** have over 20 years experience repairing vehicles. I am a ASE Certified Master Auto Technician. I am confident we can resolve your problem together.Please remember I don't know your skill level. I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle. It may take a few back and forth replies to get to a satisfactory resoloution. I also do not work in an office awaiting your reply. I run a small business and will do my best to answer quickly. Depending on the day and time there may be a delay in getting back to you.Try your best to respond with good detail so I can do the same.

Has there been any repairs to vehicle lately? a tire replaced? is 1 tire worn badly?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Nothing before the noise but after it started I've had the transfer case fluid changed and the drivers side hub assembly, the passenger side was replaced in April and the noise didn't start until last of June or early July.
Expert:  Tool Hut replied 1 year ago.

Do you have a 2wd option on your switch? Does the noise go away when in 2wd?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No just awd and stabilitrac and 4low
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When the Chevy dealership replaced the passenger hub assembly they wore three places in the cv boot and it threw grease under the front of the vehicle and I drove it for probably 2 months and a friend found it while checking my brakes and I took it back and they replaced it
Expert:  Tool Hut replied 1 year ago.

Do you know if it has a locking rear differential? In the glove box should be a label with a bunch of 3 digit codes and your VIN can you look for a G80?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can look at the vin but unsure what you mean about looking in the glove box for numbers
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The vin has a GNFZ and G121 in it. In the glove box there is GNFW8V but no G80
Expert:  Tool Hut replied 1 year ago.

Not the VIN. a label in glove box has 3 digit codes

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The label in the glove box had a lot of numbers on it but like I said no G80. I am going back out and I will try to take a picture of the label and send it to you
Expert:  Tool Hut replied 1 year ago.

Dont know where you have taken it. I definitely am believing you have a transfer case problem. Do you have a small leak just above the fill hole?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No holes or leaks but the dealership said that it had a hairline crack and it looked like it had been over tightened when the fluid was changed. Am I able to send you a picture of this label, I don't see a place to forward anything.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I e been told that there is an actuator module on the front of the transfer case that changes the way the wheels engage when parking or turning tight turns
Expert:  Tool Hut replied 1 year ago.

I would be concerned with the hair line crack. There is a problem with these transfer cases . if you look at the case they will have what looks like an oil spot on them. The case is actually cracked and the clutch is destroyed inside.

Expert:  Tool Hut replied 1 year ago.
I noticed that I have not received a rating from you. If for some reason you question did not get answered please reply. I am only compensated for my time when you leave a positive rating. Your understanding is appreciated.