GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.
10949255

It will not start wath out putting gas in the torlbody

Customer Question

Category: Chevy
Expert:  Eric Gardner replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thanks for using Just Answer.

Your description leads me to believe that the fuel pump is faulty.

When you add fuel to the throttle body and it runs, this tells me that the engine is not getting fuel from the pump.

The first thing to check is the Fuel Pump Relay, see if you hear a click from under the dash when you turn the key to the on position. This relay is located on the passenger side of the dash board. If you don't hear a click, replace the fuel pump relay.

If the relay works then replace the fuel pump.

Removal & Installation

1. Relieve fuel system pressure. See FUEL SYSTEM PRESSURE RELIEF (CSI or SFI) under FUEL SYSTEM. Disconnect negative battery cable. Raise vehicle and remove fuel tank. Using Sending Unit Remover (J-36608 or J-24187), remove sending unit and pump by turning cam lock counterclockwise.
  2. Remove fuel pump from sending unit by pulling pump up into attaching hose while pulling outward from the bottom support. DO NOT damage rubber insulator or strainer. To install, reverse removal procedure.