Lou P.
Lou P., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  building and driving chevy's since i was in the womb!!!! camaro and corvette enthusiest, access to factory diagrams and tsb's
27644750

2003 trailblazer lt v6 4.2 4x4 Alternator/ battery tested

Customer Question

2003 trailblazer lt v6 4.2 4x4 Alternator/ battery tested both good Ground/ power connections checked both good as well All fuses work Issue: charge voltage guage fluctuates and at times reads 12 causing the abs and brake light to come on.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Lou P. replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I can assist you. When the alternator was tested was it when the low voltage issue was happening ? Who tested it and what were the results ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Autozone tested it, and yes it was. It fluctuates randomly. 14.2 and i conducted a battery and alternator test with my scan tool and it also said upto specications. U1064 was one of the codes that poped
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
U1026, U1152
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My scan tool read 14.4
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
One of my last thoughts was a loose connection on the instrument cluster, or its malfunctioning
Expert:  Lou P. replied 1 year ago.
Ok well a malfunction in the cluster would not set a low voltage code. So keep that in mind. Has the voltage ever got higher than 14 ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Upon turning it on its 15v but then drops to 14.4 and the manual says its supposed to do that.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I also thought the belt was slipping on the alternator pulley, but that also checked out good
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are you still here?
Expert:  Lou P. replied 1 year ago.
I am here my apologies. Ok what kind of scanner are you using and does the scanner record live data ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Innova
Expert:  Lou P. replied 1 year ago.
Ok but can is record live data and can you see charging voltage with that scanner ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i can see live data and scan charging and battery voltage
Expert:  Lou P. replied 1 year ago.
Ok best thing to do is record it and go for a drive until it acts up or have a passenger watch the data. That is the best route. I don't think the cluster is the issue as all data is transmitted over communication lines so if the gauge is reading low then I can promise that voltage is actually low. You need to catch it in the act. Either the alternator is bad or the connections are poor. That is what you will find. Let me know. Please take a second and click the box and rate my service GOOD OR EXCELLENT SERVICE if you feel I have been helpful and please request me in the future. If you feel I have not been helpful please DO NOT RATE BAD OR POOR AND WASTE YOUR MONEY , I will opt out to see if another expert can provide more or better assistance so you're not wasting your money!!. Thanks for choosing just answer. Lou. also , if you feel i deserve one , BONUSES are GREATLY APPRECIATED ! ūüėČ Keep in mind then when you rate it does not end our conversation. you can still return here to me for follow up information if needed, Lou.