GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.
10949255

I have a 98 chevy k1500, AT, 5.7, 4x4. The transmission

Customer Question

I have a 98 chevy k1500, AT, 5.7, 4x4. The transmission shifts manually, but not on its own. I can get it into overdrive as long as I'm going around 50mph. The other gears need to be shifted at certain speeds in order for optimal operation. What is your best guess? I have a 96 chevy for parts... it seems the transmissions are different, but what do you say?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Jerry Newton replied 1 year ago.

The first thing I'd be looking at is trouble codes.... is the check engine light on?

And the next thing I'd be looking at is whether there is power on the pink wire going to the transmission connector on the passenger side. It sounds like you have no power to the transmission, and it's in limp mode. But, there should be trouble codes to go along with this.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
P0452, P0453 are the codes that are present. Are you talking about the round connecter that goes directly into the top of the tranny on the right side? What's the best way to get that apart?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Nevermind, I got it. The pink wire reads 12.5 ish volts with the key on. The two codes are for the evaporative emissions control system. What's next?