Super Mechanic
Super Mechanic, Master technician
Experience:  29 yrs. exp., ASE master, cert. in G.M. electrical, a/c, susspension, brakes, electronic steering
2947720

My 04 chevy duramax got 260+ degrees after a coolant hose

Customer Question

my 04 chevy duramax got 260+ degrees after a coolant hose blew, not my coolant reservoir/tank overflow hose whistles as air passes through it . The whole cooling system is being pressurized....what needs to be done about this?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Super Mechanic replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you today.

.

**** PLEASE REMEMBER THAT A BAD RATING WILL NOT GIVE YOU AN AUTOMATIC REFUND ***** However there is a 100% satisfaction guarantee.

….

.

There may have been some internal damage from getting that hot.

.

The first thing that you want to do is check the cooling system for any exhaust gases. Make sure that it’s full first. There is a tester for that, that you can get from Autozone for about $20. They will normally lend you the tester and you just buy the fluid for about $8. It comes with instructions, but there is a blue fluid that is used in it, if the fluid turns yellow, that is exhaust gases.

.

Block tester available is:

Napa BK.(###) ###-####/p>

OEM/Block Tester AUTOZONE

Part Number:
27145

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/accessories/Tools/Block-Tester/_/N-25dh?filterByKeyWord=block+tester&fromString=search

.

*****You will want to check it at different RPM’s and at different temperatures***

..

.

If there are any exhaust gases in the cooling system, that will cause more pressure than desired and will allow the engine to burn coolant and/or heat the coolant up too high. Most times not filling the crankcase with coolant either and not smoke out the exhaust.

If there are, then there would be an internal engine problem, like a head gasket or head.

.

.

Please don’t forget to rate the answer, **** THAT IS THE ONLY WAY I GET PAID **** if you need any more on it, I will be here.

.

If for some reason you don’t wish to rate the answer please state in a post that you are happy with the answers and the service I have provided so that I can send it in as a no click rating and get paid for my time, thanks