Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Chevy Tech -
Experience:  18+yrs experience. State Inspector and Chevy Diagnostics
18617752

My airbag service light is on 2011 malibu. i have a

Customer Question

my airbag service light is on 2011 malibu. i have a rejection sticker because of the light. i had a test done and the code b0012. Will the repair bill be costly?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry the Tech you requested was unavailable to assist you today. It appears that Tech is currently "Offline". Now that his 15 minute "request lock" has expired, hopefully I can be of some assistance in his place...
The B0012 is pointing to a problem with the driver's side air bag. This can be a problem with the air bag itself or the Air Bag Control Module. There are a few tests that will need to be done to determine which one has the actual fault. So, to answer your question as to cost, first you'll need to have the diagnostic tests run. This is usually around 1 hour. If the problem is found to be the steering wheel air bag module, the air bag sells for around $643 and the Labor Time Guide calls for just under an hour to complete the repair. If the problem is found to be the air bag control module, this sells for around $416 and the Labor Time Guide calls for 1.3 hours to complete the job. Labor rates vary from shop to shop, so what you pay for labor will effect the bot***** *****ne. For a job of this type, a "fair" labor rate can by anywhere from $85-$125 per hour. Please do the right thing and remember to leave a rating using the rating system at the top of this page or accept the answer so I may be credited for this Q&A. You can ask follow-up questions any time, even after you rate or accept. Remember, your rating is required.