GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.
10949255

It will start any time on a cold day when it is a hot day it

Customer Question

it will start any time on a cold day when it is a hot day it will start in the morning and then will not start again till cooled off I can cool off with water hear a click and will start but the glow plugs will not trigger until cooled off
Category: Chevy
Expert:  GM Tech (Cam) replied 1 year ago.

Hi there, I am Cam. Can you tell me where you are spraying water to cool it off?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
All over I can not locate the click the upper radiator hose is also pressured and pressure in fuel tank when hot

OK, It sounds like the typical issue on these 6.5L Engines. When the pump mounted driver (PMD) also called the Fuel Solenoid Driver(FSD) get warm, they won't run. This is located on the engine, under the intake manifold, just forward and left (drivers side) of the centre. For this, the fix is to get a remote mount kit and replacement driver module. Then you can mount the driver module out of the engine heat where it will not cause issues and fail like the one you currently have.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have installed new injector pump new PMDnew glow plugs new starter 2 new batteries 8 new injectors the PMD is relocated to bumper
Ok. Was all that done to correct this or some prior to that?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It started after done by Gm dealer it's like the glow plugs don't work when running temp the wait to start light don't even come on until cooled

I am wondering then about there is abad connection or ground it could cause this. If not that then one of the parts they installed is indeed faulty. What warranty have they offered on it when you had this work done?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
One year warranty I will check for bad ground maybe not enough crank on starter to fire when warm

I have seen bad connections on the wiring at the pump and PMD as well, pins pulling out and such.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay I will check all the wiring if I can't figure it out I will have somebody within the next day or so

Ok, sounds good.