Luke
Luke, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Technician at General Motors
78297162

I have replaced the ignition switch in my 05 impala and i'm

Customer Question

i have replaced the ignition switch in my 05 impala and i'm trying to do the security relearn and it won't work
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Luke replied 1 year ago.

Hi I'm L

xTooltipElement

Service Information

2005 Chevrolet Impala | Impala, Monte Carlo VIN W Service Manual | Body | Instrument Panel, Gages, and Console | Repair Instructions | Document ID:(###) ###-####/p>

Programming Theft Deterrent System Components

Programming Replacement Passlock™ Sensor, BCM, or PCM

Important:

• The body control module (BCM) must be programmed with the proper regular production option (RPO) configurations before performing learn procedures. Refer to Body Control Module (BCM) Programming/RPO Configuration in Computer/Integrating Systems.
  • If replacing the BCM with a GM Service Parts Operations (SPO) replacement part, the module will learn Passlock™ sensor data code immediately. The existing powertrain control module (PCM) however, must learn the new fuel continue password ***** the BCM is replaced.
  • If replacing a PCM with a GM SPO replacement part, after programming, these modules will learn the incoming fuel continue password ***** upon receipt of a password ***** Once a password ***** is received, and a password ***** ***** a learn procedure must be performed to change this password ***** A PCM which has been previously installed in another vehicle will have learned the other vehicle's fuel continue password ***** will require a learn procedure after programming to learn the current vehicle password.

Conditions

Use this procedure after replacing:

• The Passlock™ sensor
  • The BCM
  • The PCM

Learn Procedures

There are 2 available methods to perform the programming procedure:

• A 10-minute procedure which requires a Tech 2 and a techline terminal.
  • A 30-minute procedure which does not require the use of any tools.

10-Minute Learn Procedure

1. Connect the Tech 2 to the vehicle.
  2. Select Request Information under Service Programming System and follow the on-screen instructions.
  3. Disconnect the Tech 2 from the vehicle and connect it to a techline terminal.
  4. On the techline terminal, select Theft Module Re-Learn under Service Programming.
  5. Disconnect the Tech 2 from the techline terminal and connect it to the vehicle.
  6. Turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF.
  7. Select VTD Re-Learn under Service Programming.
  8. Attempt to start the engine, then release the key to ON, vehicle will not start.
  9. Observe the SECURITY telltale. After approximately 10 minutes, the telltale will turn OFF. The vehicle is now ready to relearn the Passlock™ Sensor Data Code and/or password ***** the next ignition switch transition from OFF to CRANK.
  10. Turn OFF the ignition, and wait 5 seconds.
  11. Start the engine, the vehicle has now learned the password.
  12. With the Tech 2 scan tool, clear any DTCs.

30-Minute Learn Procedure

Important: The vehicle learns the Passlock™ Sensor Data Code and/or password ***** the next ignition switch transition from OFF to CRANK. You must turn the ignition OFF before attempting to start the vehicle.

1. Turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF.
  2. Attempt to start the engine, then release the key to ON; the vehicle will not start.
  3. Observe the SECURITY telltale. After approximately 10 minutes, the telltale will turn OFF.
  4. Turn OFF the ignition, and wait 5 seconds.
  5. Repeat steps 1 through 4 two more times for a total of 3 cycles/30 minutes. The vehicle is now ready to relearn the Passlock™ Sensor Data Code and/or passwords on the next ignition switch transition from OFF to CRANK.
  6. Start the engine. The vehicle has now learned the Passlock™ Sensor Data Code and/or password.
  7. With a scan tool, clear any DTCs if needed. History DTCs will self clear after 100 ignition cycles.

© 2015 General Motors. All rights reserved.

uke and I will answer your question best I can, If you have only replaced the ignition switch and not the passlock sensor then no relearn should be needed but I can attach the procedure for relearning the theft deterrent. Try it a couple of times before looking for another problem

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have tried the 30 minute learn procedure, the security light never stops flashing. I have had the vehicle towed to the dealer.
Expert:  Luke replied 1 year ago.
Sorry I couldn't get to you before that, if we are done can I ask for a rating so we can close this?