Dave Nova
Dave Nova, Chevrolet Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certification. GM World Class Certification
11042942

T. I have a 2003 Malibu that has motor stalls mainly when I

Customer Question

Hello, my name is***** have a 2003 Malibu that has motor stalls mainly when I turn on a turning signal, rt or lft. Also stalls at random while driving. Getting worse lately and having more trouble with starting,especialy when the car has been sitting out in the hot weather after i get off work .New ignition recall replace a few months back by dealer, new battery also. No check engine light comes on and no other dash lights come on. Also if I'm driving while it stalls at random it will start right back up as long as I'm going over 20 mphr. Hmmm
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 1 year ago.

Which part did the dealer replace under the recall?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ignition switch
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ignition switch
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 1 year ago.

Was the problem present before the ignition switch was replaced?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
replaced the batt a couple weeks before switch was replaced because the car would stall when put into park then would not show any power source for a couple hours so cant really 100 % say this stalling problem was present before the switch was replaced
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 1 year ago.

Sounds like a power loss due to a voltage drop. This can be due to a faulty ignition switch (most common) or can be due to a poor connection at the ignition switch or under hood fuse panel. Check connections carefully at the underhood fuse panel and at the ignition switch. Check the connection at the IGN SW fuse in the underhood fuse panel as well. If all connections are good then the switch is the likely culprit.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok i will check both areas you discribed i need to step away for a while can i let you know later on with my results ?
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 1 year ago.

That will be fine. I will look forward to hearing from you later.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just went out to start the car. It's was trying but too much stumbling. So put it in neutral and got it to start. Check all relays and wiggled the fuse box around all the cables with no stalling. Stood back and scratch my head , hmm and the car stalled while i was doing nothing! So now I will remove the radio and peak around all wires to the ign sw.
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 1 year ago.

Look for spread terminals in the connector. If the connector body is melted near any of the terminals, this is a sure sign of a poor connection.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thanks. Will check tomorrow
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 1 year ago.

Thanks, ***** ***** know how it goes.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok so upon remiving the radio and poking around for bad wire contacts I accidentally tapped the connectors that go to the IGN SWT and the car stalled. Restarted the car 3 different times and tapped the connectors and motors stalls. So do you think this is also the cause of motor stalling while turning on blinkers and putting the car in reverse , park and moving to Drive at times too ?