Chris (aka-Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

Chevrolet Suburban 1500 LT: suburban 2009 liftgate ( not powered)

Customer Question

suburban 2009 liftgate ( not powered) actuator is clicking but not functioning. cargo window also inoperable. bought and replaced the actuator - still same cllicking, no action. power on the harness feeding to the actuator has 11.75 volts, or -11.75. also noticed that the light bulb on the license plate turns on on whenever i hit the actuator switch ( on the handl)
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Chris (aka-Moose) replied 1 year ago.
The lock actuator is getting enough power to operate. This means its the latch that is binding an not moving, the part that is to blame. The lights working when unlocking, means there is a wire chaff in the harness and the reason why the voltage you got, although good enough, but a tad low from battery voltage, most likely because the circuit is powering the rear license plate lights. You want a excellent 5 star answer & I would like to be rated the same for providing it. Consider I don't know your skill level & I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle. It may take a few back and forth replies. Try your best to respond with good detail so I can do the same. I normally log in at 3pm and work late. A rating is required. Your rating me, what I type. I am not an employee of this website, nor have control over the fees or the time it took to get a response. If you rate negative or not at all you still paid, but I get nothing. I want you pleased with me and my efforts, so let me know if your experience here has come up short.Thanks Chris
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Chris- so I have 2 problems ?The part is to blame? I have 2 broken actuators?And how do I find the chaff fed wire? The harness is long,ūüėČūüėź goes inside, up, down, etc. Where do I start?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Let's check if the actuators are really defective. It has 4 pins. Which is the positive and negative??, and when I connect it to the battery, it should not move the latch. Which pins do I connect the battery to? I bought the second actuator and if it's defective I should get a refund.
Yes you have 2 problems.It would be the latch to blame for the inability to open the door if the lock actuator is moving. You have to find the wire chaff with a visual inspections starting at the actuator looking at the wire al the way back to the front till you find where its touching another chaffed wire, normally near sharp edges or spots where the wires bend often.See the wire diagram below to know what the wires do.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I had dental surgery yesterday so I didn't have time to do it. Same condition for today- rest,I really want to manually test the new actuator that I just bought.
Keep in touch.