Tool Hut
Tool Hut, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Owner of a mobile diagnostics company assisting auto technicians with difficult vehicles
77480539

Chevrolet K1500 4x4: I am doing resto-mod on my K1500 Scottsdale

Customer Question

I am doing resto-mod on my K1500 Scottsdale 4x4, Engine is now a 383 stroker, huge engine mods, don't think the stock nv3500 will be able to handle the engine, considering a conversion to an NV4500. It currently has an NP241c transfer case. I know the clutch and slave cylinder are the same, and will need a bellhousing. What else is needed to complete this conversion?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Tool Hut replied 1 year ago.
Hi, My Name is***** have over 20 years experience repairing vehicles. I am a ASE Certified Master Auto Technician. I am confident we can resolve your problem together.Please remember I don't know your skill level. I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle. It may take a few back and forth replies to get to a satisfactory resoloution. Try your best to respond with good detail so I can do the same.The NV 4500 is an ulitimate transmission and will likely be trouble free versus the NV3500. It will definitely take a different bell housing. I have never done this conversion on a GM, The NV3500 and NV4500 dodge is the same length. So the most I can imagine is some minor driveshaft mods.You want a excellent 5 star answer & I would like to be rated the same for providing it. A rating is required from you rating me. I am not an employee of this website. I do not have control over the fees, or the time it took to get a response. If you rate negative, or not at all you still pay. I get nothing. I want you pleased with me and my efforts, so let me know if your experience here has come up short.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have an unlimited membership, the fact that I pay for this question is irrelevant because I use this site regularly. I would like for you to have a chance for a top rating.
Will the NP241C transfer case fit the output shaft of the NV4500? The transfer case I have has been rebuilt, original out of my K1500.
Expert:  Tool Hut replied 1 year ago.
I did some digging in the cummings site and from what I can tell it depends on your transfer case. Year built etc. Is it a 32 spline? If so it should work, They sell the input shafts with different splines at a lot of the 4x4 shops. looks like around $150. The dodge is the same for both, a lot of dodge guys put in the GM 4500 and convert their case. so I cant imagine it would be different for you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
1990 Scottsdale K1500
Expert:  Tool Hut replied 1 year ago.
I would need the tag information off from the transfer case to check for sure. It does look like it should be a 32 spline.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will get the tag #'s for you. I have found some NV4500's on eBay. If it is for a GM, are they all built/geared the same?
Expert:  Tool Hut replied 1 year ago.
Yes from what I can tell the GM are all geared the same. The dodge is different. So if it is for a gm you should be fine
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Assy# ***** serial# ***** ratio#272
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Assy# ***** serial# ***** ratio#272
Expert:  Tool Hut replied 1 year ago.
OK. That looks like it is a 32 spline and also used behind the NV4500
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok. There are some bellhousings and transmissions available on eBay, but say '92-'95. Were there any changes made from 1990-1992 that would effect the fit? I was under the impression that '88-'95 were all the same, except for minor body/interior changes.
Expert:  Tool Hut replied 1 year ago.
The only difference I can think of is the design of the clutch slave cylinder