Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton, Chevy Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Technician, L1, Master GM Technician. Over 20 years of bumper to bumper GM experience.
25345654

Chevrolet C10: Last weekend, after putting in a new engine,

Customer Question

Last weekend, after putting in a new engine, we started our 76 Chevy c10. Fuel leaked from fittings so we replaced fuel lines and fittings. Now the engine cranks but won't start. Checked fuel lines and they're all wet with gasoline, disconnected each and ran fuel pump and gas DOES get through at least to the carbs. Bought new spark plugs too. What could have happened to make the truck not start now?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Jerry Newton replied 1 year ago.
Are the spark plugs wet when you pull them out?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They were the first time we tried starting the engine. So we bought new ones in case they got ruined. Last night, we pulled the after trying to start and they were not wet.
OK, any fuel in the carburetor? Look down into it as you work the throttle lever, you should see a squirt of fuel in each primary bore.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We have dual carbs. Are the front holes the primary or back holes? There is fuel in the carbs.
The front holes are the primaries. OK, fuel in the carbs. Do you have spark present at the spark plugs when you crank it?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I had spark with my first set of spark plugs. When the truck started last weekend. Engine flooded so I bought new spark plugs. Haven't got spark from New plugs. When cranking the engine, it doesn't feel like I'm getting spark either. I don't understand what could have happened from last weekend to this weekend to not get spark anymore.
What are you using for ignition, HEI distributor or an aftermarket setup?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hei distributor. Brand new coil and distributor.
No spark, so we have to go back to the distributor and see what's going on. Check for power on the pink wire that plugs into the side of the distributor, and if that's good, see if you have a pulsing ground signal on the TACH terminal of the distributor.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok they both seem to have power. If I checked correctly.
The tach signal will have power, until you crank it. The ignition module pulses ground, and that's what makes the coil produce a spark. If it's not pulsing when you crank it, you need to be looking at the ignition module, connections, distributor pole piece.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Alright. Everything under the hood is brand new, if something is not working properly I would feel foolish buying new stuff again. It is all two weeks old. Could flooding the engine have ruined an ignition component?
No, the only thing it could have ruined is the plugs. However, brand new parts fail every day. It's a matter of diagnosis, just pretend like none of it is new and diagnose it like any other engine.