GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.
10949255

Chevrolet Astro Van: Dan, I have severe problems to start

Customer Question

Hi Dan,
I have severe problems to start the engine of my 1993 Chevy Astro Van 4.3. - Milage: 70000 km. The problems started around a few month ago. Normalely the engine started directly when I turn the ignition key. Then no more at the first time, but at the third or fourth attempt. The spark plugs are new, the 93 Amp. Bosch batteriy is new and the electrical starter is always running fast, but within the weeks the engine started with more and more delays, more and more after 20 attempts. When I turn the ignition key, the starter runs and the engine made 2 or 3 ignition attempts - brum - brum and then no more. only the starter was turning. But when I was lucky to start the engine after plenty not successfull attempts, then I had no more problems to start the engine again, as long it was warm. But now no more ignition, only the starter is turning.
I am a retired German citizen living in the everlasting summer of the Philippines. Here the mechanics don't have the background to
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.
I am sorry for the long waitwhen it will not start will it start right up using starting fluid sprayed down the throttle body ?what is the fuel pressure reading key ON engine OFF when it is not starting up ?