BOBBYSS
BOBBYSS, Master Technician
Experience:  ASE MASTER CERTIFIED, AA DEGREE AUTO/DIESEL TECH
1627031

I have a 2002 chev pu 2500 It runs great but sometimes will

Customer Question

I have a 2002 chev pu 2500 It runs great but sometimes will drive it somewhere and it sits for a while the starter turns fine but it will not start, not a cough or a sputter,if try to start right after I shut it off it starts and it does not do the no
start all the time, I will let it sit untill the next day and then it starts right up but this can be very inconvient, it seems to do more when it is hot but am not completly sure of this. I have put a new ignition in it and a crankshaft sensor, but did not
make any difference
Category: Chevy
Expert:  BOBBYSS replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is Bobby. Thank you for the question. There are a lot of issues that can cause this on your truck. I would start by checking to see if the security light is on when cranking the engine and it does not start. If it does then you may have a bad pass lock sensor. If not then you need to see if it has fuel pressure when this occurs. It may have a failing fuel pump relay. Did you plan on fixing this yourself?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am not sure I put in the ignition and crank sensor but I do not have any testing equipment do you think I should put in fuel pump relay, I hate to just keep putting in parts in but I think I will havfe to bring to dealer as I brought it to my regular mech and he could not fix it, also, I dont think there is a security, this is a bare bones pu, hand crank windows, one thing is when it is running in the upper right on the counsel there is a light that stays on all the time when it is running, it is a yellow light looks like a long tube with a half circle on top 1st thing that comes to mind is a lock hasp but the tube does not look like a lock, there is nothing in the manual about this and everyone I show it to has never seen anything like it
Expert:  BOBBYSS replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. The relay is easy and cheap to replace if you want to try that. As for the light, can you take a picture of it and attach it here?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
fyi in case you run into it again, I had a friend that works at the city garage and he said fthat this was some type of gov. vehicle when it was new and was set up to run on natural gas there was a switch that when you first start it is suppose to inject gas but at a high temp the switch would be asking for natural gas, he set the switch so it was always on gas and seems to be working, will let you know is still does it
Expert:  BOBBYSS replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for getting back with me. It should be fine from here on out if you keep it on that setting. If you need anything else in the future please let me know.