GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.
10949255

2002 Chevy Suburban will not crank and the battery keeps going dead. s

Customer Question

2002 Chevy Suburban will not crank and the battery keeps going dead. so i have to jump it off even with the jump it will turn over but wont crank.
Submitted: 1 year ago via CarComplaints.com.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Jerry Newton replied 1 year ago.
Just so I understand, the engine cranks, but won't start. Is that right?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That is right.... I can use starter fluid, but it wont stay running.....like its starving for fuel. But there is plenty of gas in the injectors. I don't get it...
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
and I can hear the fuel pump...
OK. How have you determined that there is plenty of gas at the injectors? Did you measure fuel pressure using a gauge?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I pushed a valve on the injector rail and plenty of gas came shooting out...its like the starter wont engage the ignition.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
But if that were the case, I don't believe that it would start with starter fluid.
OK, but it runs if you use ether. That means it's not getting enough fuel. Go to your local Autozone, Advance, or whatever parts store you have, and they will usually have fuel pressure gauges that they loan out at no charge. You need to measure this fuel pressure, because it has to be 55 psi. I think you'll find that your fuel pressure is low and that the fuel pump needs to be replaced, but the gauge will tell the tale here.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
But if the fuel pump needed to be replaced would the gas still get to the injectors. Isn't there a fuel level sensor????
There is a fuel level sensor, it's attached to the fuel pump in the fuel tank. Fuel pumps very commonly run but don't produce sufficient pressure to run the engine. Any GM mechanic that was given this truck to diagnose would grab his fuel pressure gauge first, on his way out to look at the truck. This is a very, very common issue and it's definitely the first thing you should be checking. If the pressure is 55 and holding, then it's not the fuel pump. But there's only one way to find that out. If it's not the fuel pump, we'll figure out what it is.