Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton, Chevy Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Technician, L1, Master GM Technician. Over 20 years of bumper to bumper GM experience.
25345654

Chevrolet Corvette: 1980 corvette went completely dead while

Customer Question

1980 corvette went completely dead while driving on freeway. Will not start. Tried new alternator and battery still dead???
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Jerry Newton replied 1 year ago.
It won't crank or anything at all? No gauges or lights on dash either?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Nothing.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No power at all.
OK, this has to be an issue with battery cables or fusible links. First check where the cables go from the battery to the engine. Ground cable should be securely fastened from battery negative to body or engine, and positive cable goes to the starter. Make sure the nut is tight on the starter. I know it's a Corvette and that's hard to see, but give it a wiggle and a tug and see if it moves around. Fusible links are located at the starter as well, see if any of those are burned. You'll obviously have to get the car in the air so you can crawl under there and have a look at these things. If there is no power to anything, it has to be a battery or battery cable connection issue.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK thank you. I will check where you have suggested.
Let me know if you need anything else. I am happy to follow up.