Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Chevy Tech -
Experience:  18+yrs experience. State Inspector and Chevy Diagnostics
18617752

Chevrolet 1500 chevy suburban: My check air bag light. What

Customer Question

My check air bag light. What is the deal? just started appearing
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 1 year ago.
Hello! Welcome to the site! Thanks for coming! I'm Ron Z. I'm here to provide as much information and insight as I can, to best answer your question.
I'm sorry the Tech you requested was unavailable to assist you today. It appears that Tech is currently "Offline". Now that his 15 minute "request lock" has expired, hopefully I can be of some assistance in his place...
Unfortunately, I know this may not be the answer you were hoping for, but there is no easy, 1-answer, "it's this..." kind of answer here. There are literally dozens and dozens of parts and sensors in the Air Bag System that when faulty, can set the Air Bag light. This can be anything from a problem with an Imapct Sensor (actually fairly common on these vehicles) to a problem with the Seat Belts and anything inbetween. At this point, the best thing to do is have the Diagnostic Trouble Codes retrieved from the on-board computer. These codes will point us in the direction of the part or sensor that has the problem and from there, we can make the correct diagnosis and then repair. SOME local parts stores, like AutoZone can read these codes and will do so for Free (except in CA). If you cannot find a part store that has the correct scan-tool to read the codes, then a shop will be needed. Again, I'm sorry I could not be more accurate but like I say, there's just too many things that can be wrong and to take a guess and be correct would be almost impossible. Please do the right thing and remember to leave a rating using the rating system at the top of this page or accept the answer so I may be credited for this Q&A. You can ask follow-up questions any time, even after you rate or accept.