Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton, Chevy Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Technician, L1, Master GM Technician. Over 20 years of bumper to bumper GM experience.
25345654

My Keyless remote has stopped working. I have replaced the

Customer Question

My Keyless remote has stopped working. I have replaced the batteries several times and have done the re-learn mode several times, still doesn't work. Is there a transmitter in the vehicle that could be bad. 2009 Chevy Suburban
Submitted: 1 year ago via CarComplaints.com.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Jerry Newton replied 1 year ago.
Do the remotes relearn when you do the procedure?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sometimes but is only last for a few hours
The first thing to check for, if this truck rolled into my shop, is aftermarket devices. We've seen problems with alarm systems, 2 way radios, and even phone chargers that interfere with the body control functions. If you routinely leave your car charger for the phone plugged in (like most of us do), try unplugging that and any other aftermarket electrical devices, reprogram the transmitters again, and see if the condition changes. If this problem persists, I'd say that you're probably going to be replacing the body control module, which is something your dealer will need to do because it requires VIN specific programming before it will work. We've had issues with BCM's for a variety of concerns, so it wouldn't be surprising if your BCM has failed in this manner.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I thought it would have to do with the vehicle receiver. The remotes seem to be fine. There are no aftermarket parts on this truck, but I do leave the charger for the phone plugged in, all the time. I will try unplugging that and if the problem persist I will take it to the dealer.
.
It can be receiver, or BCM (receiver "tells" BCM to unlock doors, doesn't control them directly). Of the two, I would suspect BCM based on history of failure. But you're doing the right thing. Let a professional figure this out, it's beyond the capabilities of most DIY types.