BOBBYSS
BOBBYSS, Master Technician
Experience:  ASE MASTER CERTIFIED, AA DEGREE AUTO/DIESEL TECH
1627031

Chevrolet Suburban 2500 LS: Having trouble shifting from park

Customer Question

Having trouble shifting from park and to other gears on colum shifter on 1999 Chevy suburban automatic
Category: Chevy
Expert:  BOBBYSS replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is Bobby. Thank you for the question. When you say you are having difficulty shifting do you mean that the shifter will not come out of park?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The on the column automatic shifter was stuck in park. Depressing the brake did not release it to shift. I got under the dash and played with the solenoid with a black wire and green/ white wire. The solenoid did not move at first but now did move. After many attemptsat shifting, I was able to get into Drive1, but now am stuck there. The shifter moves but is still stuck in Drive 1.
Expert:  BOBBYSS replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. So now the shifter moves but the gear selection indicator will not?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The truck has a broken shift cable. I had to move fwd with getting it repaired, Your help was a new idea to try, but took too long. I need this truck for work
Expert:  BOBBYSS replied 1 year ago.
Sorry for the delay in helping you with this. I am glad that you got it taken care of. If you happen to need anything else in the future I hope you give us another shot at helping you. Have a great day.