Dan, Technician
Experience:  Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database
17871496

2006 chevy impala battery good car just stopped. dash lights

Customer Question

2006 chevy impala battery good car just stopped. dash lights up hear a click nothing like it's dead. finally started and now in driveway and won't start.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is ***** ***** I'm here to help get your problem solved. If it makes a single click when trying to start this would point toward a failed starter. Monitor battery voltage to make sure it maintains at least 11v while trying to start, this will verify battery is good. If good access starter, both wires should have at least 11v while trying to start if so replace starter. This would be around a $400 job at a shop depending where you go. Let me know if you have more questions or if there is anything else I can do to help. Thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Makes no click. Turn car to start and nothing. lights on dash vanish when you turn key and then light back up when you release key.
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
That points toward a bad battery or connection at battery. I'd start by testing battery which you can do with a multimeter. If no meter available most parts stores will test a battery for free. Let me know how it goes or if you have more questions, thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
battery tests fine.
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
What does voltage drop to while trying to start?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
don't know, but used battery jumpers from my 2012 SRX to impala battey, and impala headlights, interior lights, etc were all strong, added jumper to see if that would help...
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
Is it a single loud click that comes from starter/engine area?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No inside over at interior fuse location or dash area I think. I can always take battery out and take to O'Riellys... for true test...?
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
That would be a good idea because if battery has actually failed a jump will not start. I'd consider buying a multimeter at the same time if you want to do any testing yourself. Let me know how it goes, thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If the battery can power head lights, interior lights, etc., and with my SRX connected to the impala battery as well, wouldn't this give the impala sufficient power? Eliminating the battery issue with the impala?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Car was fine previously no issues. Sounds electrical to me...on line suggested starter relay switch...?
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
Everything you mentioned only draws about 20 amps over power, a starter pulls around 200 and the jump start will not be able to provide the extra amperage it needs. You could try to replace starter relay under hood in fuse box if your lucky that might be the problem but I do not think that sounds like the problem. Let me know if you have more questions and how it turns out, thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Battery was bad replaced with new nothing happens security light is on and have not seen this before until this entire issue
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
security light does not flash just comes on with all the other lights...
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
You can try the following procedure, if it doesn't work I think you will need to bring vehicle to shop with capable scan tool to check codes. Let me know if you have more questions, thanks.
-
1. Turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF.
2. Attempt to start the engine, then release the key to ON. The vehicle will not start.
3. Observe the SECURITY telltale, after approximately 10 minutes the telltale will turn OFF.
4. Turn OFF the ignition, and wait 5 seconds.
5. Repeat steps 1 through 4 two more times for a total of 3 cycles/30 minutes. The vehicle is now ready to relearn the Passlock(TM) Sensor Data
Code and/or passwords on the next ignition switch transition from OFF to CRANK.