GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.
10949255

Chevrolet Tahoe LT 4x4 ssv: 1999 Chevrolet tahoe 5.7 LT SSV.

Customer Question

1999 Chevrolet tahoe 5.7 LT SSV. Misfire on 7 after replacement of fuel pump, filter, upgrade to mpfi (all new injection) cap, rotor, iridium plugs, wires, air filter, crank position sensor, oil 'n filter, air filter, pcv valve, cleaned mass air flow valve, replaced bad o2 sensor, checked all wires in the engine found no damage, coil is working properly, distributor is working properly, I checked the valve adjustments and ensured that none of the valves are sticking open or closed. Yet #7 continues to misfire and I have raw unburned fuel dripping from my exhaust pipe. I'm at a loss unless the mpfi pack I purchased from Auto zone is faulty and #7 is stuck in the wide open position.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  GM Tech (Cam) replied 1 year ago.
Hi there, I am cam. Can I get your name please? You have done a great deal to this. I have a couple more ideas. First is it a dead misfire or occasional?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
James, it is not firing at all if I pull the #7 plug it is covered with fuel and fuel just drains from the combination chamber. I've been a diesel mechanic for 20+ years this one is just got me baffled
James, I can understand your frustration. I have run into this exact issue before, it's a faulty cam sensor in the distributor. This sensor is not used to actually Fire the plugs, that's the crank sensor. This sensor is used for misfire diagnosis and when it fails it causes a dead misfire on one cylinder. Replace that sensor and it will fix your issue.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay I'll go pick one up and give that a shot thanks.
My pleasure. If for some reason it does not then we are left with the ECM, but I am confident it's that sensor.