Dr. Hamman
Dr. Hamman, Chevy Technician
Experience:  30 Years Experience repairing, customizing, and building chevys.
9795573

Can you reset the brake proportioning valve on a 1984 chevy

Customer Question

Can you reset the brake proportioning valve on a 1984 chevy G20 van, and if not, where can I get a replacement
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Dr. Hamman replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I am a professional certified mechanic, with an engineering background,and 35+ years experience. I will do my best to assist you. Also keep in mind I don't know if you are a pro or a novice, so feel free to add any additional info at any time. It should reset if the master cylinder is good. The way you reset it is to start the engine, and slowly start pressing down on the brake pedal, gradually build pressure until you are pushing real hard. You should hear a pop, and that will be the reset. If you need a replacement Summit racing has them, check out the link HERE. Go overall of this and if you have any more questions at all, I am here to help. Good luck with it, have a great day, and Thanks for using Just Answer. I do not get paid for my work unless you rate at 3 to 5 Smiley Faces or Stars, a bonus is always greatly appreciated. If the answer is not clear, let me know what additional help you need, and I will be happy to assist you further.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That's pretty much the same info I got about 8 months ago, which might work for earlier years but doesn't work on mine, even with a new master cylinder. And as for Summit, I have checked with them several times, including this week, and don't find a replacement to fit my model. Thanks for trying anyway.
Expert:  Dr. Hamman replied 1 year ago.
If the proportioning valve isn't seized up inside it should reset standing very hard on the pedal. If that doesn't do it purposely put air in the master cylinder, on the front or back and stand on the pedal hard. The piston in the proportioning valve should shift towards the side with air in it. In severe situations, I will alternatively put air in the front, stand on it hard, then bleed the front. And then put air in the back and stand on it. and bleed the back. This helps to free up a stuck piston. All you are trying to do is to get the piston moving, then centered and it is reset. If all that fails you can get an adjustable proportioning valve and install it, that would take a little replumbing. If you have any more questions at all, I am here to help. Good luck with it, have a great day, and Thanks for using Just Answer.