Roy
Roy, import/domestic specialest
Experience:  ASE master tech for 40 years
3506196

Chevrolet Suburban 1500 LT: , I need help with my 1999 chevy

Customer Question

Hi, I need help with my 1999 chevy suburban 5.7 C1500. It started overheating and smoking today wile I was driving, but not before i got the smell of hot coolant several minutes prior. Soi popped the hood and saw that i had a bad leak coming from the heater control valve connection. I did replace the heater hose several months ago as it was leaking coolant whenever the heat was on. and all of sudden today it does this. Even after I let it cool down and I start it cold, within 10-15 the needle on the temp gauge has gradually climbed all the up the hot side and that's when the leak starts up again and begins to smoke at the heater control valve connection
Category: Chevy
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's kind of ironic, because up until today I didn't even think my temp gauge worked due to maybe a faulty coolant temp sensor or what have you, because the needle never ever moves when I am driving. I clearly see that it does work and works well.
Expert:  Roy replied 1 year ago.
good morning my name is ***** ***** I will assist
the fact that it overheated more than once is an indicator of a possible failed head gasket. you can get a chemical kit from a parts store to see if it will tell you anything. we remove the spark plugs and injet shop air into the cylinders and watch for movement of the coolant. it is the best way to test for a failed head gasket.
you may have had a thermostat stuck open and that would explain why the gauge was not moving.
Roy