Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton, Chevy Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Technician, L1, Master GM Technician. Over 20 years of bumper to bumper GM experience.
25345654

Chevrolet Trailblazer LT: i have a 2003 trailblazer lt v6

Customer Question

Hi i have a 2003 trailblazer lt v6 i was recently driving home from work and i noticed batter guage was dropping to 10v then go back to 12v. Every time i saw it drop down to 10v, my brake light and ABS light came on, when my voltage went back to 12 the light came off. When i finally got home i turned the car off and tried to turn it back on it didnt crank but i can hear clicking. All my lights turned on just fine.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Jerry Newton replied 1 year ago.
It sounds like your alternator is not charging and needs to be replaced. It's normal for the ABS and red brake light to come on when the voltage drops, as it sets codes for low system voltage. Repair the charging system, and the ABS/brake light issue will go away. The charging system is the root cause.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What are the chances its my starter? What symtoms should i look for? If the alternator isnt the problem
There is almost no chance that this is a starter issue. Low voltage while driving indicates a problem with the charging system (alternator), NOT the starting system. The starter is clicking due to the low battery voltage, which was caused by the fact that your alternator stopped working while you were driving.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I got my alternator working but now i have the abs and brake light come on whenever my voltage drops. I got the battery tested and its good. I am not sure if it has to do with my belt slipping because when i brake my charge goes up but when i speed up it goes down. And my battery guage fluctuates.
Is the belt slipping?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I dont know if it is, it squeeks sometimes but then it goes away
If your belt is slipping/squealing, you probably need a new belt tensioner and belt. You shouldn't have any belt noise or slippage.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is the belt tensioner expansive? I know the belt itself isnt
The tensioner is probably a few bucks more than the belt. The two of them together probably cost about $150-200 if you buy good quality parts, which you should.