Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton, Chevy Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Technician, L1, Master GM Technician. Over 20 years of bumper to bumper GM experience.
25345654

Chevrolet Silverado 3500 HD LT: I'm trying to wire up tail

Customer Question

I'm trying to wire up tail lights for my flatbed on my. 2004 silverado 3500 duramax using a 3 wire universal plug. The lights are stop turn tail LED lights. I am unsure which wire colors go where.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Jerry Newton replied 1 year ago.
LT BLU and DK BLU is stop/turn (left and right). BLK is ground. BRN is park lamps.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So what color wire is for my running lights or is that the same wire as for stop?
Brown is the running lamps circuit. Blue is the stop/turn circuit (light or dark blue, depending which side you're on). And black is ground.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This is the plug I'm wiring to so which wires go to each black to black, red to blue, and then white to brown? Would I just solder the two grounds together to the black wire on the plug?
I don't see an image, I'm not sure if you uploaded one, but if you did, I can't see it. Do you have a link to a website or picture that shows me what you're looking at?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
http://www.kchilites.com/1040-plug-3-wire-for-led-ea.html
I tried to add a file I'm not sure if it let me but here's a link that you could see the plug.
OK, I see it now. The back of the LED lamp should have the diagram cast into it, telling you which pin is which. Does your lamp have anything on it that points to which pin is what?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No it doesn't have anything I thought that was kind of dumb but would guess black is ground and red and white would be my hots one for the running lamps and the other for stop/turn but it does not say which one is which
Agree, black is ground, and yes, you can just splice the blacks together and find a common ground. As for the others, it's easy enough to just attach one of the circuits (say, running lamps) and see which one lights up. If it lights up bright, then that's the wrong one. Running lamps should be half intensity. You can figure this out, if we assume that black is ground, and I would assume that.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK I will try that here in a little bit and I'll let you know how it goes.
Let me know if you need anything else. Good luck with it!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
On my left side I have the brown for running lamps and two light blues and the right side it's same except I have the dark blue but then there's also the light blue there what. Are the extra light blue on each side for
I don't know, my schematic doesn't show that. However, use a test light and try different lighting functions, to see what those circuits are doing, and then wire accordingly. It sounds like someone may have attached a trailer lamp harness or something, if you have extra wires.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The running lamps are at half intensity and are all wired up now and my turn signal works the only thing is that when I hit the brakes the lights won't go to full intensity but since they are on the same wire as the turn signal it doesn't make sense that one would work and not the other. I read something about the flasher relay could that be the problem?
I don't think so, not if they worked properly before. If there is a trailer wiring harness installed, I'd follow those wires and remove it, I think, before contacting the manufacturer of these lights and getting their support staff to help you out.