Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton, Chevy Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Technician, L1, Master GM Technician. Over 20 years of bumper to bumper GM experience.
25345654

Chevy 3500hd 6.5 diesel: my 2000 3500hd turbo diesel dies when

Customer Question

my 2000 3500hd turbo diesel dies when hot ,its not the pmd I tried 4 new pmds didn't help also tried new injection pump didn't help new fuel pump on frame and new filter on motor ,still dies when hot .any suggestion
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Jerry Newton replied 1 year ago.
Install a piece of transparent hose from the filter housing to the injection pump. Get it at your local hardware store, and it's going to be there permanently, so clamp it on. The purpose of this is so you can see whether there are air bubbles going into the injection pump while it's running. I'd want to do this before anything else, air bubbles in the fuel are a bad thing, and can come from a cracked fuel suction line or a cracked fuel sending unit. Did new injection pump come with a new PMD? It should have, and it should have a tiny resistor inside the electrical connector. This resistor is specific to the pump, so if you've thrown it away, you can't replace it without buying another pump. Most people that replace the PMD don't realize there is a calibration resistor inside the connector on the PMD that needs to be swapped. There isn't much more to this engine. If the engine is getting fuel, it's going to run, so it's presumable that you're running out of fuel, which is equivalent to having air in your fuel. Definitely start at the top, with 4psi lift pump pressure and NO air bubbles in the supply line.