Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair, mechanic
Experience:  Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.
14541291

Chevy suburban: 1999 Chevy sub 5.7 put motor in 3 weeks ago

Customer Question

1999 Chevy sub 5.7 put motor in 3 weeks ago rebuilt order to advance auto parts. Drove for 3 weeks around town had codes about crank and can correlation. So took to shoo he he put scan tool on and set my timing by moving distributer. Light went off drove for 3 days after that it kept giving me codes p0172 p0175 and p1133. So I was going to take it back got on interstate going 75 truck lost power cut off. Pull side road try to crank it turn fast and than drag like timing is off. So I had towed back to my house check furl pressure 55 psi . Try a new crank sensor same thing. But I noticed when I look in the hole were the reluctant ring on crank it had some oil on it. Just need a little advice
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Tim's Auto Repair replied 1 year ago.
Hi, My name is ***** ***** for the delay.I will do my best to assist youdo you have a spark on the plug wires?will it start with a prime?starting fluid or a little fuel in the throttle body?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Having tried that yet will do it now
ok..let me know
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Got spark And tried started fluid it turns fast then like a small kick back like starter drag
ok..lets replace the distributer cap and rotor,,these caps arent much,they will burn a hole inside the cap where they are wormed and have a spark but at the wrong times..sometimes you may go through 2 or 3 of these vortec distributor caps before you get a good onethanks
If you are satisfied with my answer, Please Rate my answer by clicking the rating button so I can get credit for my work. I’m not always going to be giving you good news, so please don't let this stand in the way of you accepting my answer. .it does not cost you more money and we will still be able to communicate, ,.please understand, i can not see, hear or touch the vehicle and only know what you tell me. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated.. if you are not satisfied with my answer, please do not leave bad feedback ,i will gladly opt out and let another expert handle the question. .if i have sent any diagrams, please print them. .sometimes you may need to right click the image [,then save picture as]to save it to your computer so you can open it with your picture program...Please ask if you need more help.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK I will try a new one tomorrow. But l just put a new distributer and cap on 3 weeks ago
it is very,very common to get a bad new one,,we know it isnt the fuel,,it isnt likley for it to have jumped time on the chain..so,i think it is the capthanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
One more could u explained why it quit while driving just want to know
i would think the cap starting crossfiring[thowing the fire out of time]
if the cap isnt the problem,im going to think it jumped time on the distributer or the chain
if it were sparking at the right time,,it would fire up for a moment with the prime
so,we know the spark is off,,the likley problem would be the cap and rotor
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
U right it was that thanks
that's why i make the big bucks,,lolyou are very welcomethanks for using justanswerIf you are satisfied with my answer, Please Rate my answer by clicking the rating button so I can get credit for my work. I’m not always going to be giving you good news, so please don't let this stand in the way of you accepting my answer. .it does not cost you more money and we will still be able to communicate, ,.please understand, i can not see, hear or touch the vehicle and only know what you tell me. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated.. if you are not satisfied with my answer, please do not leave bad feedback ,i will gladly opt out and let another expert handle the question. .if i have sent any diagrams, please print them. .sometimes you may need to right click the image [,then save picture as]to save it to your computer so you can open it with your picture program...Please ask if you need more help.