Tool Hut
Tool Hut, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Owner of a mobile diagnostics company assisting auto technicians with difficult vehicles
77480539

I have a 2008 Chevy Express Van 1500 V6. It was wrecked in

Customer Question

Hello! I have a 2008 Chevy Express Van 1500 V6. It was wrecked in the front end. It STARTED FINE. After dismantling the front end it would not crank over. I have already assembled the front end completely and it still will not turn over. It has power to
one of the post on RELAY 73 but the other 3 have no power even when key is turned. Micro Fuse 64 Has no Power ( Gets it from 73 of course ) All Fuses Checked Good. All IN-LINE fuses check good coming from battery. I Jumped Micro Relay 64 and Engine TURNS OVER
but never starts ( No Spark? No Fuel? ) Seems Like ECU wont send crank signal. I burned up the Original ecu and i ordered a used on off eBay ( 2-3 days from being here ) But the ECU was good before hand so i know its not a ECU problem. So What Can It Be? Why
Wont it start. What send power to the CRANK RELAY 73 and why wont it start when bypassed the crank relay.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Tool Hut replied 1 year ago.

Hi, My Name is***** have over 30 years experience repairing vehicles and am an ASE Certified Master Auto Technician. I am confident we can resolve your problem together.

The very first thing I would try would be theft learn. Sounds like the computer is in theft. I have attached an instruction sheet for the manual theft learn. Please be advised this may not resolve your problem. It must be verified that it is not in theft mode before we do further testing.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello thanks for your response the ecu I ordered off ebay should be here today or tommorow and I will try that.I do not have to get the ecu program at the dealer correct? And can do the above procedure to relearn the used ecu. It has all the same part numbers on it
Expert:  Tool Hut replied 1 year ago.

The used one will definitely need to be programmed. The dealer is not only place to get that done. A lot of aftermarket shops program as well

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
But I thought the 30 minute key relearn will program it ?
Expert:  Tool Hut replied 1 year ago.

Absolutely not. The computer needs to be programmed with the calibrations for your vehicle. You may get it to run. Probably wonot run good. Or maybe not at all.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Will have the used ECU today and will do the above and see what happens, ill let you know today.
Expert:  Tool Hut replied 1 year ago.
OK, Let me know the results
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello!I got the van started, The problem is that the Alternator Wont CHARGE unless step on the gas. then after i let off the gas it drops down to 9 volts or so.I think the ECU is sending the wrong signal to the alternator? Can That Be? How do i fix it?The alternator was fine before, i even changed it to another one today and its doing the same thing.
Expert:  Tool Hut replied 1 year ago.
Did you get the computer programmed?