Gary
Gary, Chevy Technician
Experience:  15 years GM master tech
19513769

Chevrolet Suburban: I have a 96 suburban that died while driving.

Customer Question

I have a 96 suburban that died while driving. We checked fuses and the ecm-1 had blown and replaced it blew again we found wires that were exposed fixed that issue and not blowing the fuse anymore. Now we try to start and it does not get a spark at all. We do not know what to do next.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.
I am sorry for the long waitdo you have a multi meter on hand ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.
ignition key ON does the pink wires at the ignition coil and ignition module and crank sensor all show 12 volts with the key ON ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes it does
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.
there is no spark coming out of the ignition coil ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no spark at all from there no and it is a new coil and a new module as well
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.
if you set your meter to AC volts and unplug the module connector and red meter lead to the white wire terminal in the connector and the black meter lead to ground when cranking it over what will it read for AC volts ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
.12 is what we are getting
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.
re connect the module connector and unplug the coil connector with a test light with the test light clip connected to battery 12 volts touch the terminal in the connector you unplugged with the white/black wire and when cranking it over will the test light blink ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
we do not have a test light but we did connect the underhood light with a spare wire from and had it connected to the battery but the light did not flash or turn on at all. ( the light does work)
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.
ok at this point the computer is not triggering the module to tell the coil to fire sparkwhen you did the AC test when cranking it over it should have read 1.0 to 4.0 when cranking and it only read .12then the trigger from the module you tested showed NO trigger to the coil as the light did not blink when you were cranking it overcan you be 100 sure any of those exposed wires you fixed are not touching at all and are repaired correctly ?focus and be 100 % sure that white wire from the ignition module is not cut or damaged or grounded at allit is very important you are sure
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the white wire was not touched at all we fixed wires from the crankshaft sensor they were burnt on the exhaust manifold directly below the alternator. We could not figure out the problem so we changed the fuel pump first, then the fuel relay, then the pcm, then the crankshaft sensor, then the ignition coil, then the ignition module, then the distributor cap and rotor. Since nothing helped we decided to get on here and see what to do next
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.
was the new PCM programmed to the trucks VIN number ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We never programmed it but we switched the original chip to the new pcm
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.
the chip on these is just the knock sensor modulecan you swap back the chip to the old computer and plug back in the old computer and see if you get spark ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it was left as a core charge at the parts store how do we program it?
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.
it can only be programmed with a programming scan tool and programming softwarecan you call them and see if they still have your core on hand ?
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.
if not can you ask them if they program computers for you if you brought them the computer and VIN number ?i think that is our issue as the computer is not triggering the spark signal from that white wire at the module which that white wire goes right to the computer
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
they already sent it back we are taking to a dealership to get programmed and hopefully that fixes our problems. We will let you know once we get it back.
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.
ok let me knowbut we know no matter what the new PCM must be programmed for it to work in your truck and hopefully will correct this spark issueyou can always get me back through this post any time for free with any follow up anytime even after you rate us here at Justanswer !