Pete, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  14 years GM dealer Technician.
14928985

I have a 1994 Chevrolet S-10 ZR2 with a 4.3 liter V-6. This

Customer Question

I have a 1994 Chevrolet S-10 ZR2 with a 4.3 liter V-6. This truck starts and runs fine, but after about 20 minutes a highway speeds when you slow down at a traffic light or to make a turn the engine dies----I coast to the side of the road and it always
starts right back up---but usually when I slow down again the engine dies. When the engine is restarted it will idle perfectly. Any ideas?
Category: Chevy
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Replaced the distributor button, distributor and ignition module----truck runs better but still stall when braking to stop or turn after driving 8 to 10 miles----I plugged the vacumn line to the brake booster and it still stalls.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just drove the truck again---if you step in the brake hard the engine dies----if you feather the gas with one foot and brake with the other you can keep it running---when you put it in reverse the engine dies immediately and if you feather the gas to keep it running it goes from a stall to trying to rev up ---- sort of bucking and jumping.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have now discovered (this is my son's truck) that the truck does not have to be at operating temperature for stalling to occur----any abrupt deceleration either by braking or downshifting transmission causes engine to stall----even downshifting transmission from 2 to 1 going less than 10 mph and the engine stalls-----but will start back up and idle.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.
If you have not cleaned the carbon from the throttle body I would see if this corrects the fault here.If it does not this may be an issue with the idle air control motor on the intake/throttle body needing replaced.I would check and see if any of these are the cause here.
Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
replaced the IAC and it did nothing truck still stalls as I described.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
Is the engine acting like it is running rich with fuel or lean at all?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Really neither when decelerating the tach gets to about 1000 RPM's and the motor stalls, doesn't sputter just dies.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
Have you checked over to make sure there are no vacuum leaks on the engine especially the intake leaking?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How do you check for that?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well I know it's dangerous but I did spray starting fluid all around the engine to check for vac leaks.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
I apologize for the delay.Did you find any vacuum leaks at all?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
If you shift to neutral from drive does the fault still occur when coming to a stop at all?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
If you tap on or around the electronic ignition switch does it want to stall when it is idling or running?