Dan, Technician
Experience:  Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database
17871496

Chevrolet Silverado: My blower motor started to act weird and

Customer Question

My blower motor started to act weird and the stopped working all together on 06 Silverado 5.3
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Randy replied 1 year ago.
Hi, my name is ***** ***** certified automotive professional with over 25 years experience. I will be glad to assist you with this.This is a very common problem on 2006 and 2007 Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra trucks. Over a period of time the resistor and usually the connector overheat and blower operation stops in some or all speeds.The blower resistor is located on the passenger side of the vehicle behind the glove box. There is a plastic cover that has to be removed to gain access to the resistor and wiring. After the cover is removed disconnect the harness connector and inspect for damage. Sometimes all of the terminals will be damaged and the plug will be melted to the resistor .After thoroughly inspecting the connector for damage replace the resistor.Please let me know if you need any other assistance.Please take a moment to rate my service positively.Thank you very much!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Inspected connector and wires for signs of being burnt, all connects look perfect. I replaced the resistor, checked that the fan operates independently. And I still have nothing. I have seen this problem in a tech service bulletin #10240 and it looks like a computer/controller issue that the dealer is supposed to fix for free. But I would like to know what's wrong.
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is ***** ***** I'm here to help get your problem solved. At the blower motor processor, verify the Red wire is 12 volts at all times. Check the Black wire for chassis ground. With blower motor processor plugged in, probe the Purple/White wire and see if it varies voltage when blower speed is changed. Should move from about 2 volts to 8 volts depending on speed. If everything is good your new controller is the problem. If missing voltage on control wire you need to check resistance on wire between blower motor control module and controller, if resistance is good replace controller. Let me know how it goes or if you have more questions, thanks.