EricFromCT
EricFromCT, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Chevrolet Technician
34559540

I have 2000 Chevy S10 4 cyl. pickup that was running fine

Customer Question

I have 2000 Chevy S10 4 cyl. pickup that was running fine until i tried to jump start Chryler Minivan with dead battery, and while trying to jump start van, my pickup quit and I haven't been able to get started again.. It turns over fine, but still won't
start we even tried to push start it and still won't run.. Any suggestions?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.
Have you checked all the fuses? And sometimes there are fuseable links for the ground off of the battery. Make sure they did not burn up. Let me know.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did a quit visual check of fuses at the time, but will do check with tester just to make sure. Is the fuseable link for ground from battery something that if went out wouldn't it also keep the truck from turning over also.. Because it turns over but just won't restart.. I appreciate your help in this matter just not sure what is happening, but concerned because if happen while attempting to jump start other vehicle not sure if caused problem with somekind of ECU or relay or module that can be damaged while jumpstarting other vehicle..? thanks..
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.
Your welcome for any help. I would think you would have more issues with a fuse then a relay or the ecu. the fuse links may or may not cause the truck to crank over. Use a test light and make sure to test all the fuses under the hood and inside.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you Eric, for your quick responses I will go double check all the fuses and fuseable links with a test light and ohms meter to see if I can find the one that is causing the problem.. Did it last night quickly with make shift test light because we were at lake and didn't have all my tools with me. So went and picked up pickup and brought home on trailer so now can properly test fuses since with your help i have better idea where to focus. I will check it out and let you know what i come up with.. Thanks Again for all your help..
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.
You are welcome. Please do check and let me know and please rate the service as well today. Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello Eric,
Sorry for delay in getting back to you with results of checking the Fuseable links and fuses.. Got side tracked on another problem that took priority, but wanted to let you know checked all the fuses and fuseable links with test light and could find nothing wrong,, and even verified getting spark to the plugs, that is when decided to check and see if it was getting fuel, so took air breather cover off and put gas soaked ran in front of intake opening and when we cracked it over it started and tried to suck that ran right in.. However it only ran for moment but enough to see the problem. Not getting any fuel,, checked inside intake and no fuel and even when pump it still nothing getting to injectors.
Tried to trace fuel lines to see if there was a fuel filter or somekind of filter that might be plugged up .. But not sure where the fuel filters are located on this truck or if maybe there is a sensor or something that would shut off the fuel because it's not even getting any fuel at all.. Do you happen to know where fuel filters are located also any suggestion on possible fix for this problem? Thanks Again for all your help Eric..
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also have check Fuel Pump relay and it seems to be working But just not getting any kind of fuel into engine; I am curious now if fuel pump quit or Plugged up Fuel filter? But i can't seem to even find where the fuel filter is located on this truck, and not sure how to verify if fuel pump is working or not, Any help you can offer is very much appreciated. Thank YOU
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.
The fuel filter is located on the frame rail on the drivers side. You can remove it and blow through to check for a restriction. If you are not hearing the fuel pump run, you next need to check for power on the GRAY wire at the fuel pump, within 3 seconds of the key being turned on.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your response and I will check fuel filter like you suggested and also power to fuel pump and will get back to you with results.
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.
Ok. Sounds good.