Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton, Chevy Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Technician, L1, Master GM Technician. Over 20 years of bumper to bumper GM experience.
25345654

Chevy silverado: Have 2004 chevy Silverado 2500 gas engine...oil

Customer Question

Have 2004 chevy Silverado 2500 gas engine...oil light stays on had pump checked and sensor etc...was told to use thinner oil I believe from a person at this site... what weight oil would you suggest..Deb from Illinois
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Jerry Newton replied 1 year ago.
If you are having problems with oil pressure, using thinner oil will make them worse. You want to use a heavier weight oil to try to resolve this issue. 20W50 would be the heaviest oil I would put in this engine. However, this is only a patch, there is likely another issue that needs to be worked out. I'm not sure what your conversation was earlier about this, but if you need help figuring out the root of the problem, I can help with that. You can try thicker oil and see if that solves your issue.