Gary
Gary, Chevy Technician
Experience:  15 years GM master tech
19513769

I have a 1999 chevy tahoe. my fuel gauge does not work. WITH

Customer Question

i have a 1999 chevy tahoe. my fuel gauge does not work. WITH a brand new carter pump. i have tried swapping out the cluster to rule that out with a Known working cluster with no avail. and second i have no reverse lights. i have checked the nut/park switch
and have 12 v on rev out and .07v in any other gear. i have checked all bulbs and connections
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.
I am sorry for the long waitwhat is the fuel gauge reading ?do you have a multi meter on hand ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The level it's showing is Empty. With no change when my tank is full or empty
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.
at the tank 4 wire terminal connector if you unplug it with the ignition key ON will it still read E ?if so with the connector still unplugged and the key ON does the purple wire terminal in the connector you unplugged show 5 volts ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will give u those details later today after work
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.
sure thingif unplugged it still reads E and the purple wire with the key ON does NOT show 5 volts at the computer there are 4 connectors can you find the clear colored connector and find the purple/white wire in terminal # ***** ?once you find it from the connector leave @ 2 inches of wire and cut that wire ( don't worry we will shrink wrap that wire back this is just for testing purposes ) and turn the key ON does the fuel still read E with that wire cut ?