Dan, Technician
Experience:  Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database
17871496

Chevrolet S10: I have a 1996 Chevy s10 2.2 ltr. It. Crank no

Customer Question

I have a 1996 Chevy s10 2.2 ltr. It. Crank no start issue. I discovered that cyl 2/3 had no spark and traced it back to a bad coil pack and replaced it an I also tests the icm for voltage prior to replacing the coil pack and all 4 cyl had spark
But the truck still didn't start. Could it be a timing chain issue. Not sure what to check next? I smell fuel when I'm
Cranking it and I hear the fuel
Pump switching on.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is ***** ***** I'm here to help get your problem solved. If you smell fuel and have good spark that is a good indication of a timing chain problem. Remove fuel pump fuse and see if it runs when spraying starting fluid into engine, if not then I'd suspect timing chain problem. If it runs on starting fluid you may have low pressure or bad fuel. Let me know how it goes or if you have more questions, thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
In the past I was trying to change the fuel filter and I was trying to locate the fuel pump fuse and I did not find it in the fuse box and I found the relays in the glove box and pulled them With the truck running when it was running and it didn't shut off when I pulled the relay out, suspecting they were not the fuel pump relays.
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
Here is a picture of the fuel pump relay which is located behind glove box. You can also use starting fluid without disabling fuel pump. Let me know how it goes, thanks.
-
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ajci3takwxzphcw/for.png?dl=0
-
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Did not have any signs of wanting to fire up! I used starting fluid and carb clean. I guess next step is to diagnose the timing chain
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
I agree, you can start by verifying compression is low. Let me know how it goes or if you run into questions, thanks.