Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair, mechanic
Experience:  Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.
14541291

Chevrolet S10: My friend has a 1998 Chevy S-10 LS with a 4.3

Customer Question

My friend has a 1998 Chevy S-10 LS with a 4.3 V6 and an automatic transmission. The truck shows the different gears on the instrument cluster when the selector is moved. However, regardless of gear, it seems stuck in neutral. Forward or reverse do nothing. It is not making any weird noises and the Linkage is connected to the neutral safety switch.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Tim's Auto Repair replied 1 year ago.
Hi, My name is ***** ***** for the delay.I will do my best to assist you.is it a two or four wheel drive?how and when did this problem begin?if you put it in park,will park hold the truck?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Two wheel drive. He just got the truck from a old family member, unknown when it began. It will not hold itself in park.
in park you can roll the truck?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes
ok,,are you sure the shift cable is shifting the transmission?
it sounds like the transmission is in netral and the shift cable isnt shifting the transmission,perhaps the cable is broken
are you there?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes, the cable that is connected to the neutral safety switch moves when the gear selector is moved. Is there a different cable other than that one?
look up under the truck on the drivers side,,look at the shift lever of the transmission,have your help to move the shifter to make sure the ver moves on the transmission with the gear shift
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When the gear selector is moved, the arm moves on the gear selector switch. is there another cable other than this one?
no,,that is the only cable..ifs the drive shaft in the truck?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes the drive shaft is in the truck.
just checking
if that is the case,,you need to remove the pan to make sure the lever is moving the shift valve,,if it is,then you have a major problem with the transmission sense it has no gears and wont hold in park
the transmission will need to be rebuilt or replaced,,i dont see an easy fix
If you are satisfied with my answer, Please Rate my answer by clicking the rating button so I can get credit for my work. I’m not always going to be giving you good news, so please don't let this stand in the way of you accepting my answer. .it does not cost you more money and we will still be able to communicate, ,.please understand, i can not see, hear or touch the vehicle and only know what you tell me. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated.. if you are not satisfied with my answer, please do not leave bad feedback ,i will gladly opt out and let another expert handle the question. .if i have sent any diagrams, please print them. .sometimes you may need to right click the image [,then save picture as]to save it to your computer so you can open it with your picture program...Please ask if you need more help.