BOBBYSS
BOBBYSS, Master Technician
Experience:  ASE MASTER CERTIFIED, AA DEGREE AUTO/DIESEL TECH
1627031

Chevrolet Silverado: Just bought Silverado Chevy 2005 2500,

Customer Question

Just bought Silverado Chevy 2005 2500, diesel.Get a loud whirring sound at high rpms or going up a steep hill or no apparent reason.
Whats going on?
Category: Chevy
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  BOBBYSS replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is Bobby. Thanks for the question. Can you tell me if the check engine light is coming on? How many miles are on the vehicle?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The DuraMax diesel does not have its engine light coming on and it has 150,00 miles. Considereing the car had been thoroughly checked I thought it was just the way diesals ran.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I've heard they are noisy
Expert:  BOBBYSS replied 1 year ago.
From the description of the noise it is more than likely just the turbo kicking in. When the turbo gets going, mostly under load, the turbo will make this noise. I asked about the light because I wanted to make sure that nothing else was going on. One thing you can do it just make sure that the air filter is not clogged and also make sure that all of the turbo pipes are tight. If they are then this is normal.