AMEDEE
AMEDEE, CHEVY TECHNICIAN
Experience:  ASE certified tech ADVANCED LEVEL SPECIALIST. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
279429

Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Classic LT: I have a 2009 Silverado.

Customer Question

I have a 2009 Silverado. No crank situation after sitting over night. Battery was completely dead so I replaced that. I also smelled something hot and the crack relay was smoked. I replaced it but still nothing. I have power to the instruments but wipers are inop. weird
Category: Chevy
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I meant crank relay
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Any ideas yet?
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome! Did you still need help? Can I start by getting your VIN? I will check in with you in the morning
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
1GCFK29069Z125088
I Checked Alldata for service bulletins but didn't find anything relevant. I put a new battery in, instruments lights come on, wipers ion. and with the key out the check engine light stays on. I could smell something hot in the fuse panel so I checked it out and found the power/crank relay was fried. Replaced it but made no difference. I pulled the fuse panel to check the back side for melted wires but everything looks good. With key off, I have a hard draw on the system. I left the battery disconnected so it wouldn't get drained.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have to work today so I won't be online till about 4:00pm EST. Thanks
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 1 year ago.
Hello and sorry for the delay! If your sure all of the fuses check out good then the next thing to do is check the starting circuit. Let me explain how this circuit works. The ignition switch sends a signal to the body control module. Then the BCM sends a signal to the PCM or powertrain control module over the BUS circuit or computer "data" circuit. From there, the PCM then grounds the starter relay. The contacts inside the starter relay close and then it sends power down to the starter motor. Your first step would be to verify that there is or is not power down at the starter when trying to start the engine. IF not, then go back to the starter relay and check the inputs.
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 1 year ago.
Pin 85 of the starter relay should always have ground. Pin 86 and Pin should have power with the computer wants to activate the starter relay. From the diagram, it looks like the PCM powers up pin 86 to activate the starter relay
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 1 year ago.
Another thing you can do is use a scanner and check for codes in the PCM and BCM. I would be willing to bet one of these modules are not communicating. IF this is the case, this would explain why the engine will not start. The PCM and or BCM cannot control the starting circuit if they are not "awake".
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 1 year ago.
I do hope this helps! Please dont forget to honor your good faith deposit by rating my answer as "excellent service" for assisting you today. It has been a pleasure working with you. Also, please feel free to reply with any questions. I will be on line after 6 pm central time tonight. RegardsCustomer
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 1 year ago.
Hello!
It'sCustomerfrom just answer. I am just checking in to see how things are going and to see if you need any further assistance?
Let me know!
Customer