Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair, mechanic
Experience:  Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.
14541291

MY 5005 IMPALA SHUTS OFF WHILE DRIVING CITY&HIGHWAY SPEEDS

Customer Question

MY 5005 IMPALA SHUTS OFF WHILE DRIVING CITY&HIGHWAY SPEEDS IT IS JUST LIKE SOME ONE SHUT THE KEY OFF THE ING. SWITCH HAS BEEN REPLACED NOTHING SHOWS ON COMPUTER MY MECHANIC STARTED THROWING PARTS AT IT CRANK SENSOR,IGN. CONTROL MODULE,MAF SENSOR,COLLANT SENSOR,ECT. THE BODY CONTROL MODULE HAS NOT BEEN REPLACED I WONDER IF IT COULD BE A SHORT IN THE WIRING HARNESS.BACK IN THE 2000 S I WORKED AT GM FISHER BODY THE WIREING HARNESS WE RECIVED FROM MEXICO 70% WERE DEFECTIVE COULD THIS BE THE PROBLEM? DOES IT SHOW WIREING SHORTS ON THE COMPUTER? I SEE THAT SOME ONE ELSE FROM PA .HAS THE SAME PROBLEM ,THIS IS VERY DANGEROUS..........RW, FROM MICHIGAN
Submitted: 1 year ago via CarComplaints.com.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Tim's Auto Repair replied 1 year ago.
Hi, My name is ***** ***** for the delay.I will do my best to assist youdoes it restart after it cools?
what crank sensor did you replace?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
how many many crank sensors are there? i will get with the mechanic & get back with you tomorrow, after it stops it. starts instantly.......thanks,...RON
Ron,it has 2 crank sensors,,this sounds as if you have a bad 7x crank sensor[sensor b],the 24x crank sensor is at the crank pulley,the 7x is in the side of the engine blockthanks.PLEASE COPY AND PASTE the link below to your browser, I have uploaded more info on this there please copy and paste the link below to your main browser[INTERNET EXPLORER or FIREFOX].https://www.dropbox.com/s/vyzy99k8y61l32k/0719-impala-2005-Left%20Rear%20of%20Engine.doc?dl=0.if the link doesn’t work that way, try it this waythanks.www.dropbox.com/s/vyzy99k8y61l32k/0719-impala-2005-Left%20Rear%20of%20Engine.doc?dl=0. If you are satisfied with my answer, Please Rate my answer by clicking the rating button so I can get credit for my work. I’m not always going to be giving you good news, so please don't let this stand in the way of you accepting my answer. .it does not cost you more money and we will still be able to communicate, ,.please understand, i can not see, hear or touch the vehicle and only know what you tell me. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated.. if you are not satisfied with my answer, please do not leave bad feed back ,i will gladly opt out and let another expert handle the question. .if i have sent any diagrams, please print them. .sometimes you may need to right click the image [,then save picture as]to save it to your computer so you can open it with your picture program...Please ask if you need more help
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
tim.....both 7x &24x sensors have been replaced do you have any other ideas.....ron
it does sound like a bad 7x sensor,,butthere isnt anything else left here other than the pcm[the main computer]itselfthanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Tim....what does the 7x sensor do ?....RON
The crankshaft position (CKP) sensor B is a 7X variable reluctance sensor. This produces 7 digital ON/OFF pulses per engine revolution. These pulses occur when a reluctor wheel, mounted to the crankshaft and containing 6 slots evenly spaced 60 degrees apart and one slot spaced at 10 degrees, passes by the sensor. The 7X sensor is connected directly to the ignition control module (ICM). The sensor wiring includes 2 circuits, a CKP senor signal circuit, and a low reference circuit. The ICM uses the 7X signal to determine the engine position and speed. There are no DTCs to diagnose the CKP sensor B. This CKP sensor system diagnosis is used to diagnose a fault with the CKP sensor B and the CKP sensor B circuits.